Science Forums

Fantastic Inforgraphic About Earth

Gregb

An interesting compilation. However, I take exception to one article.

Earth is smoother than a bowling ball. High mountains and deep ocean trenches make up only 1/5000th of the earth's circumference.

'Smoother' is an entirely arbitrary/subjective term. Such a measurement as described is entirely dependent on the length of the rule used in making it and the smaller the divisions the longer the length becomes. I suggest that the measurement is actually a fractal because the volume of Earth remains constant while it's surface area increases without bound. Think 3-d equivalent of a Koch snowflake.

An interesting compilation. However, I take exception to one article.

'Smoother' is an entirely arbitrary/subjective term. Such a measurement as described is entirely dependent on the length of the rule used in making it and the smaller the divisions the longer the length becomes. I suggest that the measurement is actually a fractal because the volume of Earth remains constant while it's surface area increases without bound. Think 3-d equivalent of a Koch snowflake.

I think you are completely right. The infographic is designed for those minds that are not so bright :)

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is a great learning tool that anyone can appreciate and probably would be most effective with children. It is a fun snapshot of some interesting facts. Although, I agree that the comment about the Earth being smoother than a bowling ball appears silly.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is a great learning tool that anyone can appreciate and probably would be most effective with children. It is a fun snapshot of some interesting facts. Although, I agree that the comment about the Earth being smoother than a bowling ball appears silly.

I find myself disagreeing with you. As a geologist by training, this comparison emphasises how most geologist are dealing with only a thin skin on the surface of the planet. True, lots of interesting things occur in this thin skin, but those soaring mountains and plunging submarine canyons are, in reality, quite small. I think the comparison offers us a nicely different perspective.

• 2 weeks later...

I find it strangely macabre the amount of people who have ever existed versus the amount of people who are alive today. Think of all the dead bodies under your feet right now. It tends to put things in perspective.

Worse, you breathe them. Indeed, you're made of them.

Be humble for you are made of dung. Be noble for you are made of stars, :phones:

Buffy