I want to discuss in this thread a new type of biology which says that beliefs/consciousness control DNA/Genes instead of genes controlling the organism. The main scientist behind this appears to be Dr. Bruce Lipton author of The Biology of Belief:
According to his book:
This book is a groundbreaking work in the field of new biology, and it will forever change how you think about thinking. Through the research of Dr. Lipton and other leading-edge scientists, stunning new discoveries have been made about the interaction between your mind and body and the processes by which cells receive information. It shows that genes and DNA do not control our biology, that instead DNA is controlled by signals from outside the cell, including the energetic messages emanating from our thoughts. Using simple language, illustrations, humor, and everyday examples, he demonstrates how the new science of Epigenetics is revolutionizing our understanding of the link between mind and matter and the profound effects it has on our personal lives and the collective life of our species.
On Cellular Consciousness
Lipton describes this new science, called epigenetics, in his book, The Biology of Belief: Unleashing the Power of Consciousness, Matter and Miracles (2005: Mountain of Love/Elite Books). Full of citations and references from other scientists conducting leading-edge research in this field, this book could literally change your life at its most fundamental level.
Until the discovery of epigenetics, it was believed that a cell’s nucleus, which contains the DNA, was the “brain” of the cell, quite necessary for its functioning. In fact, as Lipton and others discovered, cells can live and function quite well even after their nuclei are removed. The real “brain” of the cell is its membrane, which reacts and responds to outside influences, dynamically adjusting to an ever-changing environment. What does this mean for we collections of cells called humans? As we encounter various environmental influences, we tell our genes what to do, usually unconsciously. Do carbs make us fat? If we believe they do. Will we be loved, succeed on the job, be prosperous? If we believe we will.
Interview With Bruce Lipton:
MAB: The premise of your book “The Biology of Belief” is that humans are not, as was previously believed, victims of our genes, but that the environment has a direct effect on our DNA. Would you elaborate?
BL: Sure. Until recently, it was thought that genes were self-actualizing, meaning genes could turn themselves on and off. As a result, most people today believe they are genetic automatons, and that their genes control their lives.
But my research introduces a radical new understanding of cell science. The new biology reveals that we ‘control’ our genome rather than being controlled by it. It is now recognized that the environment, and more specifically, our perception or interpretation of the environment directly controls the activity of our genes. This explains why people can have spontaneous remissions or recover from injuries deemed to be permanent disabilities.
MAB: Then it really is about “mind over matter”?
BL: Yes, this new perspective of human biology does not view the body as just a mechanical device, but rather incorporates the role of a mind and spirit. This breakthrough is fundamental in all healing because it recognizes that when we change our perception or beliefs we send totally different messages to our cells, causing a reprogramming of their _expression.
This new science is called epigenetics. It’s been around for about 16 years, but it’s just now being introduced to the general public. For example, The American Cancer Society is an organization that has been looking for cancer genes for the last 50 years or so. But they’ve found that only about 5 percent of cancer has genetic linkage, leaving 95% that is not genetically linked. Recently the American Cancer Society released a statistic that said 60 percent of cancer is avoidable by changing lifestyle and diet. So now they are telling us, “It’s the way you live, it’s not your genes.”
The notion that the nucleus and its genes are the “brain” of the cell is an untenable and illogical hypothesis. If the brain is removed from an animal, disruption of physiologic integration would immediately lead to the organism’s death. If the nucleus truly represented the brain of the cell, then removal of the nucleus would result in the cessation of cell functions and immediate cell death. However, experimentally enucleated cells may survive for two or more months with out genes, and yet are capable of effecting complex responses to environmental and cytoplasmic stimuli (Lipton, et al., Differentiation 1991, 46:117-133). Logic reveals that the nucleus can not be the brain of the cell!
Any opinions about any of this? Please do share your thoughts!