Science Forums

The Earth Is Not A Part Of The Milky Way?

dduckwessel

I go this off another science blog:

According to this: http://viewzone.com/milkyway.html our Solar system is not part of the Milky Way.The only envidence to support this article is found here:http://abc.net.au/science/news/stories/2007/1942665.htm.

I have heard that our solar system is really located in the Sagitarius Galaxy, which is being pulled into the Milky way via one of the (Milky Way) tails. According to what I read (or heard, not sure) this theory was determined by using mathematics!

Is there any new evidence suggesting there is something to this theory?

I go this off another science blog:

According to this: http://viewzone.com/milkyway.html our Solar system is not part of the Milky Way.The only envidence to support this article is found here:http://abc.net.au/science/news/stories/2007/1942665.htm.

I have heard that our solar system is really located in the Sagitarius Galaxy, which is being pulled into the Milky way via one of the (Milky Way) tails. According to what I read (or heard, not sure) this theory was determined by using mathematics!

Is there any new evidence suggesting there is something to this theory?

mmmm...will look for anything new, but some observations on what you have.

first, i get an internal server area on the second link.

on the first link, while the first page seems as honest as most popular science articles, nowhere does a scientist say our solar system originated in the dwarf galaxy. your title & theirs is simply unjustified sensationalist twaddle. then the second page has talk of the mayan calendar and other psuedo-scientific uber-twaddle. :doh: you might want to consider keeping company with a better class of science sources. :rolleyes:

to whit:

* A Change in the Quality of Interplanetary Space Towards an Increase in Its Interplanetary and Solar-Planetary Transmitting Properties.

We of the overarching Sagittarius Dwarf Elliptical Galaxy have finally come down next to, and even with the massively powerful spiral armed equatorial plane of the Milky Way Galaxy.

to the first sentence, an inebriated monkey could type something with more meaning. :lol: to the second, we are neither in line with nor approaching the galactic plane; we have passed it and are moving away. see this thread: >> Our Galactic Plane :1drink:

This UVA webpage signed by Steven Majewski, the astronomer quoted in the viewzone2 story, confirms Turtles suspicion that it's "unjustified sensationalist twaddle", or as the UVA page puts it, one of several "FALLACIOUS NEWS REPORTS". It has the 2003 press release that Majewski and others believe was distorted to invent the fake story of our solar system being from the Sagittarius dwarf galaxy, and recommends this Discover magazine article for a reader-friendly debunking of the bogus stories.

To quickly check suspicious looking (or even un-suspicious looking ones) "things your read on the WWweb", I find it handy to google the names of the alleged scientists mentioned in them. Sometimes, you'll find the scientist doesn't exist, or works in a completely different field than the quotes attributed to her or him. Other times, you'll find denial/debunkings like this one. Stories that don't give any names, I rarely bother to read.

Why people want to go to such effort to create obviously bogus stories like this is something of a psychological mystery to me. Perhaps they believe that if the webpage is pretty enough, and enough people read an believe it, their confabulation somehow becomes true. Whatever their motivation, I find them pathetic and annoying.

Perhaps they believe that if the webpage is pretty enough, and enough people read an believe it, their confabulation somehow becomes true.
Or, more simply, it's what they call a hoax.

This one isn't even especially humorous and it doesn't bear an April 1st date anywhere on it, as in the case of this one which was clearly not even meant to be believed for too long. I have memories of an even wittier one on the LHC but I can't find it at the mo.

Thanks to CraigD and Qfwfq for clearing this one up. The gist of the article had important sounding acronyms to make it sound credible.

I also had problem with proper motion of our sun is consistent with orbiting in the plane of the Milky Way and thereby not being an original

member of this dwarf.

maddog

Thank you for clearing it up everyone. I had been wondering about it for some time but because I have a limited knowledge of the topic I wasn't sure. :)

I have another question though. If (as I was told by someone at a science center) our galaxy is situated on one of the Milky Way tails is there any slight probability that at some time our galaxy could slip out of the Milky Way?

Thank you for clearing it up everyone. I had been wondering about it for some time but because I have a limited knowledge of the topic I wasn't sure. :)

I have another question though. If (as I was told by someone at a science center) our galaxy is situated on one of the Milky Way tails is there any slight probability that at some time our galaxy could slip out of the Milky Way?

our galaxy is the milky way ddduck. our solar system is in no danger of slipping out of the milky way. our sun is not the first in this region & won't be the last. it was born "here" and will die "here" in ~ 5 billion years. :rip: so long & thanks for all the fish. :hal_skeleton:

our galaxy is the milky way ddduck. our solar system is in no danger of slipping out of the milky way. our sun is not the first in this region & won't be the last. it was born "here" and will die "here" in ~ 5 billion years. :rip: so long & thanks for all the fish. :hal_skeleton:

well...that certainly explains why I got that strange look from the lady at the science center!!