Science Forums

Near Earth Objects

Deepwater6

You mention some ELE's have been linked to impacts, but from what I've read It's a little foggy for me. The K-T extinction for example I have issues with. The Chicxulub crater was/is being studied much closer lately. From what I can discern from articles is, although that event was enormous some don't think it was enough to paste the dino's. Some believe that there was massive volcanic activity around the same time (mainly in Siberia or at least that side of the planet) that Iced it for almost all the vertebrates. I have trouble thinking the impact alone was big enough myself, but then there is the problem of the Iridium layer. It's there so....?

As for the future, I think we're fairly safe from a miles wide asteroid sneaking up on us. But it seems since we have better technology we are spotting a lot of the smaller ones when they are either on top of us or have just gone by. I don't think we saw the one in Russia a few years back. It may be because everyone was focused on the other NEO passing us by right about that same time or maybe we just missed it. It's been so long now I don't remember as I am an old man who's cheese has slid off his cracker. :yahoo:

You mention some ELE's have been linked to impacts, but from what I've read It's a little foggy for me. The K-T extinction for example I have issues with. The Chicxulub crater was/is being studied much closer lately. From what I can discern from articles is, although that event was enormous some don't think it was enough to paste the dino's. Some believe that there was massive volcanic activity around the same time (mainly in Siberia or at least that side of the planet) that Iced it for almost all the vertebrates. I have trouble thinking the impact alone was big enough myself, but then there is the problem of the Iridium layer. It's there so....?

Somewhere here in a different thread IIRC I have posted on what is called 'antipodal focusing'. In short, a sufficiently large impact will trigger quakes and even volcanic eruptions on the exact opposite side of Earth, the antipode. Some cheese-off-the-cracker reflection of my own seems to recall a yet unverified huge crater under the ice of Antarctica antipodal to the Siberian basalt floods. I'll see what I can find...

OK. Found a bookmarked page on it. Wasn't the Siberian mess, rather possibly related to the splitting up of Gondwanaland and the Permian-Triassic extinction that made room for the rise of the dinosaurs. BIG BANG IN ANTARCTICA -- KILLER CRATER FOUND UNDER ICE

As for the future, I think we're fairly safe from a miles wide asteroid sneaking up on us. But it seems since we have better technology we are spotting a lot of the smaller ones when they are either on top of us or have just gone by. I don't think we saw the one in Russia a few years back. It may be because everyone was focused on the other NEO passing us by right about that same time or maybe we just missed it. It's been so long now I don't remember as I am an old man who's cheese has slid off his cracker. :yahoo:

Apparently we didn't see it because it came from the direction of the Sun.

Chelyabinsk meteor

The object was undetected before its atmospheric entry, in part because its radiant was close to the Sun.

Another problem seeing PHAs is that their orbital periods may exceed the time frame we have been looking for them. Clearly a big part of the 'H' is seeing the 'A' too late to do anything about the 'I' (Impact).

Edit: Here is an antipode mapping application. >> Antipodes Map (AKA Tunnel Map)

Edited by Turtle

Here's a list of confirmed impact craters. As an exercise one can use the antipode map to see what-if-any volcanic structures are opposite.

List of impact craters on Earth

This list of impact craters on Earth contains a selection of the 190 confirmed craters given in the Earth Impact Database.[1] To keep the lists manageable, only the largest craters within a time period are included. The complete list is divided into separate articles by geographical region. ...

Edited by Turtle

Great article, volcanic activity and anywhere else on the planet in addition to the immediate impact site for quakes were my next two questions. If the Wilkes Land crater did break up the Gondwana supercontinent, I think it's safe to say it was the cause of a tremor or two, I am a little surprised at them finding Mascons under the ice though. I would think the ice movement over the years would erase any evidence of an impact, especially given the 250m time span.

I'm not sure the world would survive an impact and sun shade the size of a Chicxulub would give us, but we definitely would have a hard time surviving one the size of Wilkes Land. Maybe a couple of hard core survivalist??? 

Great article, volcanic activity and anywhere else on the planet in addition to the immediate impact site for quakes were my next two questions. If the Wilkes Land crater did break up the Gondwana supercontinent, I think it's safe to say it was the cause of a tremor or two, I am a little surprised at them finding Mascons under the ice though. I would think the ice movement over the years would erase any evidence of an impact, especially given the 250m time span.

I'm not sure the world would survive an impact and sun shade the size of a Chicxulub would give us, but we definitely would have a hard time surviving one the size of Wilkes Land. Maybe a couple of hard core survivalist??? 

Here's an article with some good links at the bottom that you might be interested in.

http://news.berkeley.edu/2015/04/30/did-dinosaur-killing-asteroid-trigger-largest-lava-flows-on-earth/

Thank you LG, Some great information in those.

I watched a show on the Science channel last night about planet nine and the evidence that it exist. Most of it was bubble gum space TV to connect with a larger audience as usual, but this one showed some good computer models. Placing planet nine in different elliptical paths showed how it could disturb the Kuiper belt to send NEO's our way. They think if it exists it will be a super earth and cause a lot disturbance. 

Is there any evidence recently, or in the past, to suggest the moon helped propagate quake or volcanic issues? What I mean to say is, would the moon in a position exactly opposite of an asteroid strike help exacerbate the problems on that side?

Speaking of quakes, oddly enough I think we just had a mini one here in PA. I leaned back with my head against the head rest and a slow rumble went on for about 15 seconds. No big trucks around here, but we have drilled more holes for natural gas that I care to think about. Can't be sure, but it sure felt like the registered one we had two years ago or so. 

Is there any evidence recently, or in the past, to suggest the moon helped propagate quake or volcanic issues? What I mean to say is, would the moon in a position exactly opposite of an asteroid strike help exacerbate the problems on that side?

Speaking of quakes, oddly enough I think we just had a mini one here in PA. I leaned back with my head against the head rest and a slow rumble went on for about 15 seconds. No big trucks around here, but we have drilled more holes for natural gas that I care to think about. Can't be sure, but it sure felt like the registered one we had two years ago or so.

A geologist name Jim Berkland claims he can predict quakes using among other things, the Moon phases. Largely he is debunked. >> Jim Berkland @ Wiki

There was a quake today in Conneticut; a 1.2. If this is what you felt, USGS would like to have you file a report. Earthquakes USGS

Did You Feel It? Report it here

Predict quakes? That's a little out there, but if it sells books for him I guess it's a living.

Yeah, I knew you would have some sites to track quakes around the world. Is the USGS the primary one that you use to track them?

There's a sucker born every minute. ~P. T. Barnum

Yes, USGS is my primary quake source. Updates are almost immediate, you can configure the map to cover different magnitude ranges and time-frames, and they have copious links to scholarly articles.

Main USGS quake page: >> USGS Earthquake Hazards Program

http://www.space.com/35553-bus-sized-asteroids-earth-fly-by-is-3rd-near-miss-in-9-days-orbit-animation.html

Third near miss in 9 days. Makes you wonder, are they a part of something bigger coming in??

Duck & cover! :scared: I do hope you have a bug-out bag. :idea:

:photos: and they just keep coming. Great dashcam vid of brilliant blue and white along with a map at the bottom. 8)

http://www.mlive.com/weather/index.ssf/2017/02/fireball_zooms_across_midwest.html

The two asteroids in the second one may have a re-run in an above post, but the traffic has been heavy lately. Since the ban on this group of mostly Muslim asteroids has been lifted they just keep flooding in.

https://www.technobuffalo.com/2017/01/25/asteroid-discovered-days-before-pass-earth/

Edited by Deepwater6

• 1 month later...

http://www.space.com/36274-bus-sized-asteroid-buzzes-earth-closer-than-moon-video.html

Only saw this one with a few days warning.

In other space news, SpaceX is attempting to re-use a first stage booster and land it on the floating pad again. Hopefully all the space companies get the hang of it and it brings the cost of launches way down. GO SPACEX!!!!!! It is set for launch at 6:27pm.

http://www.space.com/17933-nasa-television-webcasts-live-space-tv.html

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/08/us/nasa-asteroid-earth-trnd/index.html

Not a bad size for the distance and they spotted it roughly 3yrs out. I wish these stories would give a more detailed account of impact possibilities were it on a path to strike Earth, maybe more people would sit up and take notice.

The article does give an impact possibility; zero.

The space rock, known by the very dull name of 2014 JO25 will safely fly by Earth on April 19, according to NASA. The chances of it pounding our planet and leaving us for the dead? Zero, experts say.

"Although there is no possibility for the asteroid to collide with our planet, this will be a very close approach for an asteroid of this size," NASA said in a statement.

Spaceweather.com has an interactive applet you can use to view PHA (Potentially Hazardous Asteroid) orbits and details. Here it is for the asteroid in the article, 2014 JO25.

JPL Small-Body Database Browser

I believe I have heard that no known asteroid has a projected impact path for the next 100 years.

April  10,  2017

Deepwater 6 Comment April 10, 2017 :  I believe I have heard that no known asteroid has a projected impact path for the next 100 years.          

Conversation Related:   Key issue relating to "unknown"  of possible "asteroid strike"  is of course possibility of  a planet Jupiter "slingshot" effect of an asteroid caught in its hugh gravitational pull, and then swing it toward earth.  It has happened in the past, perhaps not  often, but  not enough is known if the asteroid that created the Chesapeake Bay 20 millions years ago, or the Astroid that created Gulf Of  Mexico  earlier,triggering rise of mammals (eventually humans),  came from such  a "slingshot" effect of Jupiter ?

Moral of this Story:   NASA Astroid Redirect 2017 + and Return to the Moon must use this "unknown" to save humanity from a possible catastrophy, may be not tomorrow, or even in 100 years, but sooner or later .

Comments  on this sidetrack issue ?

My Intro:

linkedin.com/cafetwin