Science Forums

POV-Ray anyone?

I have some experience with POV-Ray. What are your questions?

Okay. Well the program that I'm using creates a POV-Ray input file automatically, so all I have to do is open up POV-Ray and render the image from that imput file.

Here's a screenshot of POV-Ray and the input script, as well as the resulting rendered image.

So my question is:

How can I make the rendering bigger? As you can see, the rendering is rather small... and I would very much like it to be bigger. Is it even possible to alter the script as shown in the screenshot to do that?

And after that is over, how would I go about changing the colors and textures and stuff. As is, all of that seems to be defined in the tens of thousands of jlines individually. Is there some way I can make a texture definition for all of the rendered pieces?

Thanks in advance!

As far as re-sizing goes, look up in the upper left hand corner of the POV-ray window, right under the "open" icon.

See the little box which reads [512x384, no AA] with the little "down" button next to it.

Click the down button and you will bring up a drop menu with different rendering sizes you can use. Click the one you want. ( Note you can choose between "no AA" and "AA 0.3". This selects the amount of antialiasing the scene renders with. Antialiasing renders slower but gives a smoother looking render.

As far as textures go, in the screenshot I see four textures declared (t0,t1,t2, and t3)

You can alter the textures by changing these declarations.

The lines that read

#declare t0 = texture{

pigment {color rgb <0.1,0.4,0.9,>} finish{ specular 0.5 roughness 0.01 ambient 0.35 diffuse 0.32}

set the parameters for one of the textures, both the color (red 0.1, green 0.4, blue 0.9) and the finish ( how much and type of high-lighting you get, how much ambient lighting and diffuse light comtribute.)

You can also add "normal" which will determine the "bumpiness" of the texture.

As far as re-sizing goes, look up in the upper left hand corner of the POV-ray window, right under the "open" icon.

See the little box which reads [512x384, no AA] with the little "down" button next to it.

Click the down button and you will bring up a drop menu with different rendering sizes you can use. Click the one you want. ( Note you can choose between "no AA" and "AA 0.3". This selects the amount of antialiasing the scene renders with. Antialiasing renders slower but gives a smoother looking render.

As far as textures go, in the screenshot I see four textures declared (t0,t1,t2, and t3)

You can alter the textures by changing these declarations.

The lines that read

set the parameters for one of the textures, both the color (red 0.1, green 0.4, blue 0.9) and the finish ( how much and type of high-lighting you get, how much ambient lighting and diffuse light comtribute.)

You can also add "normal" which will determine the "bumpiness" of the texture.

Thank you so much! You're amazing. :):applause:

I'll try these out, and I may come back with more questions!