Science Forums

Our hand in the universe

Gabe Bixler

it seems to me you only considered cases where they would be far beyond/behind us.

What I read was that he was deaging with probabilities. That there will be civilizations that are behind, same and ahead of us. And that the ones thererfore we would be most apt to be able to find/ communicate with are those that are ahead of us.

I didn't see him limiting us or the expanse of others, just which would be the most probable contacts.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

curiosity is related to survival. When you catch a rat and put it in a cage, it will immediately explore to analyze the place and possibly find food. When there are levers and switches on the cages, the rat tries them to see what happens, usually hoping for food.

Your pushing it just a touch too far.

The only reason a rat would push "levers and switches ... usually hoping for food" would be if they had enough previous experience in receiving food when they pushed levers and switchs.

Your pushing it just a touch too far.

The only reason a rat would push "levers and switches ... usually hoping for food" would be if they had enough previous experience in receiving food when they pushed levers and switchs.

relating that to humans, we have sometimes find it rewarding to be curious. so we do it again. Like a scientist who discovers some great phenomenon. he'd go on and pursue more discoveries.

Would curiosity help or hinder survival and reproduction? If it helps, then things would evolve to be more curious to a point, if it hinders, then they would evolve to be more cautious. I suppose that there is an optimum balance, but does it lean more toward curiosity or prudence?