Science Forums

Migration

chill

Having been brought up in various countries, I find migration very interesting. Consider the following.

Migration is one of the proponents of globalization. As you probably know, cost and difficulty of travel has fallen drastically over the last century. With this new-found mobility people are moving everywhere very fast. Immigrants carry along their cultural and social identity over to their promised land (not necessarily to a developed country; a large proportion of migration occurs from third-world countries to developing nations, for example from South American countries to Mexico) and hence spread their identity and culture there, through their children or through cultural assimilation; and hence globalization.

Let's talk a bit about migration. In this age, I think migration is a huge issue. What are the problems and benefits brought about by migration for the society (the society that they move to and the World as a whole)? Any issues to raise regarding migration?

Some issues I'd like to raise: Migration and cultural globalization, migration and identity (social and individual), migration and inequality.

Having been brought up in various countries, I find migration very interesting. Consider the following.

Migration is one of the proponents of globalization. As you probably know, cost and difficulty of travel has fallen drastically over the last century. With this new-found mobility people are moving everywhere very fast. Immigrants carry along their cultural and social identity over to their promised land (not necessarily to a developed country; a large proportion of migration occurs from third-world countries to developing nations, for example from South American countries to Mexico) and hence spread their identity and culture there, through their children or through cultural assimilation; and hence globalization.

Let's talk a bit about migration. In this age, I think migration is a huge issue. What are the problems and benefits brought about by migration for the society (the society that they move to and the World as a whole)? Any issues to raise regarding migration?

Some issues I'd like to raise: Migration and cultural globalization, migration and identity (social and individual), migration and inequality.

one of my preferred subjects is ancient migrations. very rarely discussed and really not much known.

with respect to modern migrations, i am lucky to be from a country that in near total is the result of world migration. the US people are a deposit of most of the cultures and traditions of most of the world. although the general concepts are thought or recognized as European, the founders preferred concepts opposed to the then Open community. maybe because English was the chosen language and many of the original settlers were from there.

mixing of cultures, with in the traditions of any country should never be a problem. most feel an immigrant is kind of like the adopted child, in most cases a family. if the child or family doesn't disrupt the tradition of the host family what culture the adopted practices will be accepted. (as a rule) here we have every imaginable culture centered in areas where the new comers can become adjusted, stay or join the total. its the perfect system. i do think desire to become part of this total is important and encourage the best i can an adaptation to customs.

i am not sure globalization and migration have much in common. as the nations become more like each other and have the same things, migration desire should slow. in India for instance you can now apply for work at a GM or Ford plant, work for IBM or Microsoft. in China, many international firms are also present.

you mentioned So. America and Mexico. many of those folks and some elsewhere in the world are defecting or leaving a place maybe even to just to stay alive. this is not migration in the sense of you post.