Science Forums

Mission to Neptune

Stargazer

What exactly do you mean here?

It would be no new thing for NASA to pay private companies for research. Nor will it surprise me that private industry has made useful developments that can be applied to space. Always we take what we already know and then using it as a base for development. Are you suggesting that private industry IS directly funding development of fusion power specifically for space? I doubt it. NASA will have to pay the vast bulk of any project to adapt our knowledge of earth bound reactors for application in space.

No, you did say "If NASA is to rely on developments from the private sector it can only go for solar power - because that is what private industry IS developing." so I thought I'd point out that the private industry will develop this reactor for NASA, not that the private sector necessarily develops a reactor on their own, that NASA could use as they're sitting around waiting for someone to develop it.