Science Forums

Ghost in the Shell - Anime or Manga, Seen It? Own It? Love It?

maikeru

Ghost in the Shell's a pretty famous manga and anime series. Have you seen it or what do you think of it? I've only seen the anime. I saw both the first and second movies. The first movie is better, as it had a nice blend of philosophy, story, and action. I like some of the questions it asks about the nature of humanity. Is it flesh and blood and our minds that make us who we are? Or if we replace our bodies with steel and electronics, do we become greater or lesser than what we were before? The second movie was too disjointed and surrealistic for my taste, and too heavy on the philosophy and CG visuals at the expense of story and pacing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yeah I've watched it. I liked it a lot. The aspect I liked the most was the atmosphere and the story, which is why I didn't mind the 2nd movie as much as some other people did (it had a killer soundtrack).

The philosophical content isn't entirely original, but through contextualization (cyber brains, the atmosphere, and so on) it becomes really good, in my opinion. What afterall makes a human human? Or a living being alive? I doubt that a program can ever gain consciousness, at least without being given one by its creators, for the simple fact that they don't have "desire"; the immortality aspired by our genes. But I haven't thought through the whole thing comprehensively yet.

• 1 month later...
yea,ive seen it.its ok.is it still on adult swim and edited to say,wasnt there only one movie?there are two?

There are actually three movies

Ghost in the Shell

Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: Solid State Society

The series adaptation is whats being aired on tv.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex