Science Forums

Flying via magnetic field

udhitsharma

i want to know about how we can use magnetic field against gravity to fly

http://space.newscientist.com/article/mg18925331.200-take-a-leap-into-hyperspace.html

Excerpt: "This will require a huge rotating ring placed above a superconducting coil to create an intense magnetic field. With a large enough current in the coil, and a large enough magnetic field, Dröscher claims the electromagnetic force can reduce the gravitational pull on the ring to the point where it floats free. Dröscher and Häuser say that to completely counter Earth's pull on a 150-tonne spacecraft a magnetic field of around 25 tesla would be needed."

moo

There was an interesting article called "Gravity's Secret" in New Scientist last week. Basically it was like the Podkletnov thing a couple of years back where a spinning superconductor appeared to demonstrate some measurable affect on gravity. We'll have to wait and see if the experiment is repeatable, and if it is, it'll be pretty amazing. I'm not sure whether to feel sceptical or gobsmacked.

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/fundamentals/mg19225771.800-gravitys-secret.html

GRAVITY has a secret side. As well as the brute force that holds us to the ground, large masses should also exert a subtle swirling influence when they rotate, a force called gravitomagnetism. It's so faint that a NASA spacecraft called Gravity Probe B has been orbiting the Earth for over two years to accrue enough evidence to have a chance of confirming this force.

Yet in a lab in Austria, Martin Tajmar and his team have already succeeded in detecting a faint signal that seems to be due to this elusive component of gravity. A reason for celebration? Not quite. Puzzlingly, the force they seem to have generated is vastly more powerful than anyone else expected.

Despite its name, gravitomagnetism has nothing to do with magnetic fields as we think of them. According to Einstein's general theory of relativity, a rotating mass such as a planet should twist the...

i want to know about how we can use magnetic field against gravity to fly (like UFO moving on) other force can also do .
Udhitsharma, you might recall that, in 7874, we hashed this question out pretty thoroughly between posts ”Some basic enginnering calculations” and ”One little failure to divide by a million”, arriving at the conclusion that a UFO-like craft able to fly using the Earth’s magnetic field is in principle possible, but would require engineering materials unavailable to current technology, and perhaps to any possible technology.

Ok so not practicle using the earths magnetic field, but what about an artificial one?
I think you could make a vehicle fly in a volume of space with an artificial magnetic field. This might even be useful – something like the council chambers depicted in Star Wars episodes 1-3.

The trick would be finding the balance between keeping the current in the vehicle within the practical limits of its conductors, and keeping the external field strength low enough that it didn’t tug any magnetic materials too strongly. It should be possible to work out the numbers on this, but not by me tonight, as my eyes and brain are suffering from too much screen time.