Science Forums

Contol freak parent kills innocent man.

Rebiu

Originally Posted by InfiniteNow:

Even the threat of hurt against those I love would inspire great feelings of fury and territorialism.

The reactions as you have stated are perfectly normal. When my daughter was molested, it was me that was immediately detained and eventually handcuffed to a chair. The outrage and pain I felt are still undescribable. Being rational was not even a thought, it simply didn't exist for a moment in time. Initial shock and horror, a fury of emotions coupled with my instinct to "protect" were all I felt. Had I stood face to face with the creep, murder would have been a word uncomprehended or cared about...

"Provocation homicides, ie., crimes of passion including honor killings," are amongst the leading causes of murder. In some cases, I think we can all sympathize to a certain extent considering the deep range of emotions we as humans feel. (Albeit, honor killings are much less understandable.) There are also times that one may simply follow their connatural instincts, much like a bear protecting it's cub.

As Anna Freud said "a crime of passion is an action committed without the benefit of ego activity. The term means that the passion, the impulse, is of such magnitude that every other consideration apart from its fulfillment is disregarded." In other words, a large part of what is regarded as normal mental functioning shuts down, becoming unavailable to the perpetrator.

"These crimes are direct responses to unbearable betrayal, broken hearts, destroyed characters, ruined lives and injured pride."

I've been thinking about this thread over the weekend. I sometimes will try to insert humor into difficult topics, and when someone is emotionally attached to the idea in the thread it can get out of hand in a hurry.

When I made my comment regarding feeding the offender to a hungry zoo animal, I suppose I had intended it more as an illustration of my feelings on the topic. If I were a father, I'd be a deadly adversary if someone hurt my children or a member of my self-perceived pack. Even the threat of hurt against those I love would inspire great feelings of fury and territorialism. That's just part of who I am. However, a point worth noting is that, if I were a father, I'd do what was best for my child. Clearly, murdering another human being vigilante style and being sent away for the rest of my life due to an act of vengeance would not be best for my child.

Those feelings and that desire would be there. I would be enraged. I would be ready to inflict murderous consequences on the perpetrator. However, I should like to think that being a father will have mellowed me out, and I'd be more rational and intelligent were such a situation to occur and that I would handle it using the mechanisms put in place for such issues within our society.

Humble and introspective. You have my respect.

So again, please note that, while the topic at hand is very serious, I was being silly while trying to make my point, and can easily understand how others may perceive my position as wrong. Words and actions are two different animals, and I want to be clear on that.

Point taken

Now, don't mess with my family punk! :(

This is a common sentiment. One potential problem with unchecked intensity of this type is that the person victimizing you child is someone else’s child and they feel every bit as intensely as you do. Perhaps your child will be the one victimizing the other.

One potential problem with unchecked intensity of this type is that the person victimizing you child is someone else’s child and they feel every bit as intensely as you do. Perhaps your child will be the one victimizing the other.

I agree, Reibu, but just because there are potential problems with it does not mean that the potential bad outweigh the potential good. Go back to the original case. What the parent did was, while understandable to a degree, wrong. Murder is not justifiable. However, I think that it would have been prudent for the parents to call the authorities, not allow the child to be alone with the man, not allow the child to be with the man, attempt to get a restraining order on the man, move to a different neighborhood... I think that such actions as those would simply be defending their family against a potential predator. Yes, it is possible that the man did nothing, and was falsely accused. It is also possible that the man did something, and was rightly accused. Not knowing which is true, I would choose to err on the side of caution for my family.

• 3 weeks later...
I agree, Reibu, but just because there are potential problems with it does not mean that the potential bad outweigh the potential good.
You have lost me. What is the potential good that comes from the unchecked intensity spoken of in the quote?
Go back to the original case. What the parent did was, while understandable to a degree, wrong.
I do not find it understandable nor acceptable at all.
Murder is not justifiable.
Sounds like you think is is less unjustifiable in this instance.
However, I think that it would have been prudent for the parents to call the authorities, not allow the child to be alone with the man, not allow the child to be with the man, attempt to get a restraining order on the man, move to a different neighborhood... I think that such actions as those would simply be defending their family against a potential predator.
What does this have to do with the real issue. They had already done what you suggest so what is the relevance of this with regards to the murder.
Yes, it is possible that the man did nothing,
Possible the man did nothing! Where are you getting this nonsense? There was no evidence against him and the parents lied to the police to make a compelling case. You still believe he molested their daughter. Do you think the police are covering for a child molester? How the hell could he get to their daughter in their own house?
It is also possible that the man did something, and was rightly accused. Not knowing which is true, I would choose to err on the side of caution for my family.
There is nobody on this planet that things one should not be cautious and protective of their family and children in general. Who exactly disagrees with this point? Why do you keep making it? If we apply this sentiment to the quote you made is suggest that you think commiting homocidal murder after the presumed indescretion is to "err on the side of caution".