Science Forums

Tetrachromacy

cladking

Perhaps I should do this on the physics forum.  I've had great luck here getting some insight into highly complex questions so let me try again.

I'm trying to determine a means, or the most probable means by which individuals with three types of cones in their eyes would be able to see nine colors in the rainbow.  The knee jerk reaction is, of course, that it's impossible (except under low light conditions)(this might even be the answer I seek).  I suspect that if the brain is wired differently then a fourth output at about 480 nm might be synthesized in the visual cortex.  

This could be very important but most of the science is far over my head.  I believe the answer will lead straight to understanding the nature of consciousness and might shed light on the double slit experiment.  The question is very much more related to biology than physics.  

Be gentle.

Thanks in advance.  

You do know that tetrachromacy is a real thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrachromacy

Humans[edit]

Apes (including humans) and Old World monkeys normally have three types of cone cell and are therefore trichromats. However, human tetrachromacy is suspected to exist in a small percentage of the population. Trichromats have 'red,' 'green', and 'blue' cone cells active in the long-, medium-, and short-wave part of the spectrum respectively, but at least one human has been identified with a well-separated fourth cone type.[6] Conclusively demonstrating that this extra cone type adds an additional subjective independent color dimension would confirm the existence of tetrachromacy among humans.

27 minutes ago, cladking said:

This could be very important but most of the science is far over my head.  I believe the answer will lead straight to understanding the nature of consciousness and might shed light on the double slit experiment.  The question is very much more related to biology than physics.  

Can you elaborate on why you think tetrachromacy is a key to the nature of consciousness and the double slit experiment? 

10 hours ago, Moontanman said:

Can you elaborate on why you think tetrachromacy is a key to the nature of consciousness and the double slit experiment? 

If it can be shown that a trichromat can see nine colors of the rainbow it will open up a new way to interpret ancient literature and lead directly to a fundamental understanding of the nature of consciousness as well as a definition and the ability to study it through experiment.

I doubt the answer is mesopic vision however they would have had remarkably ideal conditions under which to make their observations of the rainbow.  It's more likely another causation is at play.  

Consciousness and the nature of the species which wrote the ancient literature is far more a biological question than one for physics but I have more a physics/ engineering perspective than a biological one.  I believe that species went extinct about 2000 BC but the differences are too subtle to show up in the examinations of the tissue.  the differences are confined to the brain and the way it was used. It seems most improbable that individuals were true tetrachromats.  

1 hour ago, cladking said:

If it can be shown that a trichromat can see nine colors of the rainbow it will open up a new way to interpret ancient literature and lead directly to a fundamental understanding of the nature of consciousness as well as a definition and the ability to study it through experiment.

This is what I am asking you to provide evidence for, simply stating this is nothing but a baseless assertion. 

I doubt the answer is mesopic vision however they would have had remarkably ideal conditions under which to make their observations of the rainbow.  It's more likely another causation is at play. 

Please elaborate

Consciousness and the nature of the species which wrote the ancient literature is far more a biological question than one for physics but I have more a physics/ engineering perspective than a biological one.

Please elaborate, all you are doing is making baseless assertions. 

I believe that species went extinct about 2000 BC but the differences are too subtle to show up in the examinations of the tissue.  the differences are confined to the brain and the way it was used. It seems most improbable that individuals were true tetrachromats.  

What species? You need to provide citations for all these assertions you are making, simply making claims is not going to do it. 

2 hours ago, Moontanman said:

Please elaborate, all you are doing is making baseless assertions. 

What I'm mostly trying to do is get opinions on how it might be possible for a trichromat to effectively be a tetrachromat.  

I'll be happy to provide answers and elaborations but have found most people are  not interested and don't accept the possibility that there was a speciation event at the very dawn of recorded history and that more ancient writing might be testament not to superstition but a different means of thinking.  There is a great deal of evidence but much of it is more related to physics and the cultural "evidence" is interpreted otherwise.  

673b. Horus bends his Nine Bows against this spirit which comes out of the earth,

We simply interpret such things only in terms that make sense to our thinking.  I believe it represents a different way to think that was shared by every individual much as other species today all apparently think about the same.  The evidence is widespread in every modern specialty but the ability to see nine rainbows is far more a question of biology.  I can show that they described rainbows in exquisite scientific detail and even built artefacts that reflected the angles of the rainbow.  I can show that these descriptions, like everything they said, were literal rather than metaphoric.  

What species? You need to provide citations for all these assertions you are making, simply making claims is not going to do it. 

This is not an "assertion".  I believe homo sapiens went extinct in 2000 BC.  It is a belief based on extensive and very widespread evidence.  I don't know that it is a fact they went extinct and were replaced with a species I often refer to as "homo omniscience" or "homo rationatio circularis".  But we are not the same species that invented human  agriculture if I am correct.  I do not often append sentences with "if I am correct" but it seems to go without saying that I may be wrong.  If I am correct then it is imperative that we learn the nature of consciousness in order to understand ourselves, our world, and the double slit experiment.  I believe the most direct path to the establishment of such a paradigm may be the determination of  a mechanism by which we can see nine colors in the rainbow.  

Hence the question.  

Please elaborate

The only times I've experienced mesopic vision light levels were so low it was hard to distinguish any colors.  However under extremely favorable conditions in which virtually all ambient light is coming from the rainbow it might well be possible to see nine colors.  

Edited by cladking

13 minutes ago, cladking said:

What I'm mostly trying to do is get opinions on how it might be possible for a trichromat to effectively be a tetrachromat.  

I'll be happy to provide answers and elaborations but have found most people are  not interested and don't accept the possibility that there was a speciation event at the very dawn of recorded history and that more ancient writing might be testament not to superstition but a different means of thinking.  There is a great deal of evidence but much of it is more related to physics and the cultural "evidence" is interpreted otherwise.  

673b. Horus bends his Nine Bows against this spirit which comes out of the earth,

We simply interpret such things only in terms that make sense to our thinking.  I believe it represents a different way to think that was shared by every individual much as other species today all apparently think about the same.  The evidence is widespread in every modern specialty but the ability to see nine rainbows is far more a question of biology.  I can show that they described rainbows in exquisite scientific detail and even built artefacts that reflected the angles of the rainbow.  I can show that these descriptions, like everything they said, were literal rather than metaphoric.  

This is not an "assertion".  I believe homo sapiens went extinct in 2000 BC.  It is a belief based on extensive and very widespread evidence.  I don't know that it is a fact they went extinct and were replaced with a species I often refer to as "homo omniscience" or "homo rationatio circularis".  But we are not the same species that invented human  agriculture if I am correct.  I do not often append sentences with "if I am correct" but it seems to go without saying that I may be wrong.  If I am correct then it is imperative that we learn the nature of consciousness in order to understand ourselves, our world, and the double slit experiment.  I believe the most direct path to the establishment of such a paradigm may be the determination of  a mechanism by which we can see nine colors in the rainbow.  

Hence the question.  

The only times I've experienced mesopic vision light levels were so low it was hard to distinguish any colors.  However under extremely favorable conditions in which virtually all ambient light is coming from the rainbow it might well be possible to see nine colors.  

Ok, I've moved your post to it's appropriate place, your beliefs and unsupported notions are not enough to keep this post in the mainstream. 

25 minutes ago, cladking said:

There is no "claim".

I was asking how a trichromat could effectively be a tetrachromat.

Please delete this thread (whoich I wo9n'

t check back on) and my account.  

I cannot do that, you have made your bed, now your post has to sleep in it.