Science Forums

Spectrum produced by hydrogen atom

# A continuous band of radiation having all wavelengths from about 1000 Angstrom to 10000 Angstrom is passed through a gas of monoatomic hydrogen. In the emission spectrum one can observe the entire:

a)Lyman series

b)Balmer series

c)Paschen series

d)Pfund series

I didn’t understand the question. If the radiation containing wavelengths from 1000 Angstrom to 10000 Angstrom is passed through a gas of monoatomic hydrogen, isn’t that the absorption spectrum of hydrogen atom? If that is the case, then no spectrum will be produced because the series limit of Lyman, Balmer and Paschen series comes in the range from 1000 Angstrom to 10000 Angstrom and all these lines will be missing in the spectrum. Please correct me if I have wrongly understood the question.

In case it hasn't been expressed here, this website is not here to do your homework for you. We expect that you read your text book, ask classmates, and do a reasonable amount of research on your own.

That being said you have been a member for 2-3 months, have started 13 threads, and only have 19 posts, all (or nearly all) of which deal only with your posts. Are you looking for a tutor?

This seems to me a very simple question. It is basically asking you to define the emission spectrum for monoatomic hydrogen that occurs between 1000 Angstroms and 10,000 Angstroms. However, they do provide extra information for you to sort out. I don't necessarily agree with this type of questioning, but it does help one to think a bit abstractly instead of like a computer just spitting out data.

In case it hasn't been expressed here, this website is not here to do your homework for you. We expect that you read your text book, ask classmates, and do a reasonable amount of research on your own.

That being said you have been a member for 2-3 months, have started 13 threads, and only have 19 posts, all (or nearly all) of which deal only with your posts. Are you looking for a tutor?

This seems to me a very simple question. It is basically asking you to define the emission spectrum for monoatomic hydrogen that occurs between 1000 Angstroms and 10,000 Angstroms. However, they do provide extra information for you to sort out. I don't necessarily agree with this type of questioning, but it does help one to think a bit abstractly instead of like a computer just spitting out data.

It may be easy for you but not for me as far as spectroscopy is concerned. Your are really harsh. I never expected such a reply. I am still in the learning stage. How do you expect me to have replied to queries of others? In the last 3 months I have posted just 13 questions out of 2000 questions I solved. Does that reflect that I don’t do any homework before posting? My foundations are weak in spectroscopy. So I thought that I would get help from the forum members. I asked this question with whatever little knowledge I had. Moreover, the questions that I have posted in the forum were not given as assignment in my college. I am trying to work the problems given in a book on my own. I feel solving a number of problems would help me to understand the subject well.

Thanks, while a bit emotional, that was the answer I was looking for. We are glad to help in the cases such as this. Congrats on working out nearly 2000 problems. I myself struggled to get much of anything done during my first year and passed easily, but because I didn't do the extra legwork, my second year as a physics student was horrible and I nearly failed 3 classes. I must admit that once I sat down and started looking over problems in the book that weren't assigned and discussed them with professors when I didn't understand them I learned tons more.

Was my answer sufficient enough to provide you enough insight on the question you asked?

Do you have professors with a door as open as Hypography is?

Was my answer sufficient enough to provide you enough insight on the question you asked?

Do you have professors with a door as open as Hypography is?

Yes, my professors are open. But having studied spectroscopy during my first year, I find it bit embarassing to ask my professor now. So, i thought of taking the help of this forum. But i will not change my opinion-You r mean!!!:D

OK, I am mean. Let me say though, having been a teacher as well as a student. DON'T FEEL EMBARASSED!

If they are not open to helping you then they are bad professors. All professors should have an open door policy.

And then my other question. Did I give you enough information to answer your original question?

And then my other question. Did I give you enough information to answer your original question?

Yes. U mean that the radiation excites the hydrogen atom and is responsible for the production of emission spectrum of hydrogen. The action of the radiation is like the action of electric field in a discharge tube containing hydrogen gas. Since Balmer series lies in the visible region only that series will be visible. Am I right now?But it could have been in a better way. I can't believe you were a teacher!