Science Forums

VACCULOID THEORY

sunofindia

This has always been a difficult concept for me to understand. If virtual particles can propagate in total vacuum, from what ingredent do they recieve their construct. If we maintain the position that it is the energy density of the vacuum, then we admit that it is not truly a vacuum. Where am I going here? Help me to understand this mechanism because I'm completely at a lose to explain it myself.

This has always been a difficult concept for me to understand. If virtual particles can propagate in total vacuum, from what ingredent do they recieve their construct. If we maintain the position that it is the energy density of the vacuum, then we admit that it is not truly a vacuum. Where am I going here? Help me to understand this mechanism because I'm completely at a lose to explain it myself.

Zero. The total energy in the universe is ZERO. Equalibrium. Can a vacuum exist in a zero energy state? Hmmmm. And what is a vacuum? An absence of matter? Zero matter? The results of zero energy? Localized petributions and temporal energy swapping do not mean that equalibrium is not maintained overall.

Forgive me but I don't understand, can you explain to me how these virtual particles come into existence. Your intelligence about this physical accurance is evident from your last post. Could you just put it in terms that someone of normal intelligence can understand. Thanks.

Forgive me but I don't understand, can you explain to me how these virtual particles come into existence.

How can I know whether you can understand it or not? North of the north pole missed you completely. But always willing to try (the glass is full).

Greetings and welcome to Physics 209: An Introduction to Cosmology

Virtual Particles

The vacuum is seething with activity. Particles continuously come into existence and go out of existence all of the time. This property follows directly from the quantum nature of the sub-atomic world. To see this, recall the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle (HUP). .... let's look at the vacuum. Suppose that there is nothing in the vacuum (no matter or radiation at all), according to the HUP there is an uncertainty in the amount of energy which can be contained in the vacuum. On average, the energy is constant,(note added: IOW zero) however, there is always a slight uncertainty in the energy, dE. This small uncertainty allows a nonzero energy to exist for short intervals of time defined by

* dT = (h/2pi) / dE

Small uncertainties in energy can actually live for very long times. Because of the equivalence between matter and energy, these small energy fluctuations can produce matter (particles) which exists for a short time and then disappears.

The particles produced in this manner are not arbitary. What happens is that pairs of particles are produced -- a particle and its anti-particle twin are produced. This allows certain properties of the Universe to be preserved. Also, an interesting note is that the particles cannot be measured directly (hence the name virtual pairs) and so no physical laws such as the conservation of energy are seen to be violated!

http://zebu.uoregon.edu/~imamura/209/apr14/virtual.html

Yes I understand particle antiparticle annilation, but I thought you said that there was a zero energy density in the vacuum, maybe I misunderstood. Then there must be a nonzero energy density in space, and because of quantum uncertainty, anti particle pairs will form due to the law of probability. I've hear talk of some scientists trying to bring back the idea of an eather" not sure spelling is right" , could this energy density be interrpurted as such.

That was for total zero energy. As to borrowing energy in time:

Richard P. Feynman – Nobel Lecture

The Development of the Space-Time View of Quantum Electrodynamics

But one step of importance that was physically new was involved with the negative energy sea of Dirac, which caused me so much logical difficulty. I got so confused that I remembered Wheeler's old idea about the positron being, maybe, the electron going backward in time. Therefore, in the time dependent perturbation theory that was usual for getting self-energy, I simply supposed that for a while we could go backward in the time, and looked at what terms I got by running the time variables backward. They were the same as the terms that other people got when they did the problem a more complicated way, using holes in the sea, except, possibly, for some signs. These, I, at first, determined empirically by inventing and trying some rules.

http://nobelprize.org/physics/laureates/1965/feynman-lecture.html

• 2 weeks later...

well hi infamous and freethinker.that was really a nice point and i learnt a lot from your conversation.but i have a problem now.i have exams from march and i think i wont be available until may 30th or so.i think im missing a lot if iam not following the forums.anyways luck to all.

nani

sunofindia,

Either you have missed some physics concepts in your studies or you are sadly greatly

misunderstanding a major concept. If you have heard of Heisensberg's Uncertaincy

Principle then you aware maybe if it is a applied to a vacumn near Absolute 0 (0 deg K),

that in the absence vacumn fluctuations can form (some call this Vacumn Foam). Thus

particles can be thought to get created then annihilated. That is the closest I could buy

to the concept of Vaculoid particles.

Second, I don't think you have a real good vacumn there. The air pressure in a light

bulb is near 0, though is Not 0 (about 10^ -9 millibars roughly). It is this little bit of

Argon that give ability of the Tungsten wire to heat up in a bulb. Maybe this what you

have in your tube, some very tennuous plasma heating up and radiating. Just a thought.

That doesn't mean stop investigating. You keep looking into stuff. You might find something. :hihi:

Maddog