Science Forums

Spiritual paths in religion

Bo

Originally posted by: Robust

When man achieves the divinity for which he was designed religion will cease to exist.

What does this mean?

Define this "divinity" you refer to.

If you are claiming that "man" (humans, including woman?) was "designed", please PROVE that there is a designer. Otherwise the claim is meaningless.

Originally posted by: BEAKER

2) Jesus was supposedly the ONLY son of a god to ever actually exist. This is not worth writing about?

Yes.

I told you you have great intellect.

Thank you, but it is more a matter of having FACTUAL information and making LOGICAL decisions based on it.

OK, so I asked for ANY proof (contemporary, eyewitness) of the actual existence of the biblical Jesus myth. You failed to be able to do so. You tried pretending that since chances of my existence being documented enough to be accepted in 1,000 is low, thus we should not expect proof of a god walking around around on earth would be the same. You indicate here that you now acknolwedge that to not be valid either.

So you have failed to show any valid support for/ reason to, accept the biblical Jesus myth and have tentitively acknolwedged that the existence of such a personage should have been documented, are you intellectually honest enough to admit that the biblical stories therefore can not be accepted as valid? That there is no valid logical reason to believe in the biblical Jesus the Christ?

Unless you can provide facts you have failed to so far.

Or do you draw the line between using reason and logic in your life at antiquated superstitions like the bible stories?

I don't claim to have all the facts that at my fingertips. Neither do you. I know you'd like to believe that with all the "lack of" evidence that has (never) been found/(ever existed?) that you, and many others like you have convinced yourselves is on your side, that you have proven (in your own mind) that none of this (Jesus myth) can be true;

-But in spite of all your awsome "powers" of "logic and reason"; evolution and all that it has bound together with it is nothing more than a high tech religion cloaked in extraneous scientific jargon.

********************************************************************************

-No. I will not trade my (illogical) Faith in Jesus; for the dubious honor of embracing your religion.

********************************************************************************

If I were God; (and it's a good thing I'm not) I wouldn't have allowed myself to be found by people whose only motive was to prove me wrong either.

Or do you draw the line between using reason and logic in your life at antiquated superstitions like the bible stories?

I'm sorry that you feel the need to draw a line in the sand where no line should ever exist.

By the way;

I can hardly see how anyone ought to wish Christianity to be true; for if so the plain language of the text seems to show that the men who do not believe, and this would include my Father, Brother, and almost all my best friends, will be everlastingly punished. And this is a damnable doctrine." Charles Darwin

Don't tell me that this is not totally subjective logic!

I'm suprised at you Freethinker!

-And I'm praying for you. Like it or not.

Originally posted by: BEAKER

I don't claim to have all the facts that at my fingertips. Neither do you.

IOW you KNOW you have failed completely to validate your claims. But are unable to acknowledge it in an intellectually honest manner.

I know you'd like to believe that with all the "lack of" evidence that has (never) been found/(ever existed?) that you, and many others like you have convinced yourselves is on your side, that you have proven (in your own mind) that none of this (Jesus myth) can be true;

Along with the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, Leprechauns, or any of the thousands of other god myths and fairy tales people have suckered for over the millenia. Yes a vast number of people are unable or unwilling to accept reality. They will trot out all kinds of claimed "proofs". Yet when each and every one is shown to be false, they will continue to claim that somewhere, someone has proof that the Easter bunny, Tooth Fairy, Leprechauns, ... exist and we can;t allow for a reasoned, logical rejection of that possibility. Some are locked away for their and societies safety. Others wander thru their lives unable (or unwilling) to make logical reasoned decisions.

-But in spite of all your awsome "powers" of "logic and reason"; evolution

Ya gotta love how this brainwashing works. Notice how "evolution" pops up? So heavily pounded into their psyche, they automatically include it with any response when their mental addiction is attacked. Pavlov had bells for his dogs. Preachers use Evolution! or Abortion! Anything to get the great unwashed masses to drool.

-No. I will not trade my (illogical) Faith in Jesus;

OK, as long as you are willing to admit it lacks any valid reasoning or factual support, I won't disagree. Just don't expect to be able to use these acknowleged "illogical" claims as support for things later. Nor claim to be using logic when you admit you base your very POV on acceptance of illogical assertions that lack factual support.

If I were God; (and it's a good thing I'm not) I wouldn't have allowed myself to be found by people whose only motive was to prove me wrong either.

This is the most absurd excuse I have run across yet trying to justify a complete lack of substance to the biblical fairytales.

I'm sorry that you feel the need to draw a line in the sand where no line should ever exist.

YOU drew the line.

I will not trade my (illogical) Faith in Jesus

YOU specifically show where YOU draw the line regarding applying logic and reason.

By the way;

I can hardly see how anyone ought to wish Christianity to be true; for if so the plain language of the text seems to show that the men who do not believe, and this would include my Father, Brother, and almost all my best friends, will be everlastingly punished. And this is a damnable doctrine." Charles Darwin

Don't tell me that this is not totally subjective logic!

Ah yes, add Darwin to the Evolution and Abortion Pavlovian responses. Woof Woof Christian Soldier!

-And I'm praying for you. Like it or not.

And I pray to the

• 8 months later...

In a world of six billion people there are obviously 1000s, if not millions of ways of looking at religion or, more specifically, "the spiritual paths in religion." I offer you a prose-poetic perspectie written by a man(me) age 61, living in Tasmania and who has been associated with the Baha'i Faith for over fifty years. If you don't like poetry just read the prose that follows:

THAT DARK RIVER

"If we think of the poems of John Keats that he wrote in 1818 to his death in 1826 as triumphant arrivals, we should also think of some of his earlier poems(1814-1817) as part of his fascinating journeys and as his attempts to discover, define and become himself. We would not have the arrivals without the journeys.”1 As far as my own poetic journey is concerned, I’m not sure even yet at the ripe age of sixty if I have had a triumphant arrival or whether I am still on the journey to discover, define and become myself. As an initial and tentative hypothesis, though, I like to think of the Baha’i Holy Year of 1992 as the beginning of my triumphant arrival after thirty years, 1962-1992, of fascinating poetic journeys. -Ron Price with thanks to 1Andrew Motion, “Journey of Discovery,” The Guardian, November 27th 2004.

I found that dark river

you1 talked of where

you could lower the bucket

daily and the water flowed

and flowed and flowed.

I found it in my middle age

not in my youth as you did.

And then one poem a day

flowed for 12 years!2

And I did anything I wanted

in my poetry. It was not a need

for love or applause, forgiveness

or fame, but an outpouring from

some sweet-scented streams

from which I’d been drinking

for years, a feasting on some fruits

of a tree of being I’d been tasting

perhaps as far back as 1953

when the Kingdom of God

on earth began with that

wonderful and thrilling motion.3

1 The Welsh poet Dylan Thomas used this term. Thomas wrote only a poem a year in his late thirties, his last years. -Ron Price, “Notes & Quotes: File A,” Author Unknown, Resources On Writing.

2 In the years 1992 to 2004 I wrote, on average one poem each day.

3 The completion of the Mother temple of the West in Chicago.

Ron Price

November 27 2004