Science Forums

Needing help Identifying a rock

Bacchen

My father's father gave it to him, and he gave it to me a while back, I have always wondered where it came from, or if it is a meteorite, if you would like to see a picture of it or lend some advice please contact me at [email protected] or post here.

Thanks in advance!

Looking forward to seeing the rock. Have you checked to see if it's magnetic? If not, see if it deflects a compass brought near it, then see if a magnet sticks to it. These tests aren't conclusive, but helpful. Welcome to the Forum.:)

Well, my slow dial up I am on is preventing me try and host an image so I dont know when it will be posted.

I dont have a magnet onhand or a reliable compass, so I cant tell.

I can give you some peoperties though, or let me send the picture in an e-mail

Visible Properties:

About the side of a baseball, many bumps ( both small and large ) The protruding bumps that make up the outside are smooth, unlike the rest of the rock. In the crevasses between the bumps and indents on the rock is red dust, very hard to scrape off ( I tried this with a knife point ) It's as if it was melted to the rock.

I would say it's around 5 pounds as well, so it's awefully dense, suggesting it's metallic. Another interesting bit would be that some bumps are round and some are square.

I actually popped off one of the bumps with my knife, the base of it seems metallic and clear, and when I cut at it it seemed to leave metallic dust, Do you suggest I try and break it in half?

I don't suggest breaking it no. Check your phone directory for a gemologist or rock shop in your area. They likely can ID the rock & if you want it open they can cut it, which better preserves the minerals inside & keeps the sample more intact.

Consider taking it to a local college or university geology dept. for ID as well.

That sounds like a good idea, I took it outside before this post and threw it down on an extra cement stepping stone, the stepping stone broke in half hehe.

I was going to call my dad in the morning and see if he could cut it open because he sharpens cutting heads for a moulding company. I will definatly look into an expert shop or school that could help me, thanks for the tips =)