Science Forums

Relativistic acceleration

Tim_Lou

i derived the acceleration as a function of F in special relativity.....

i'm not trying to show off or anything... well maybe im trying to get some reps...

well, anyway, i just would love to share my love of physics with you guys. (specially since some of my friends are viewing the forum as i believed in... and hopfully they are).....

:hihi: :hihi:

tell me if i did anything wrong.

the following document is the derivation of acceleration as a function of force and velocity in relativity. we all know a=F/m, but what about in relativity? well, lets find out!

the derivation only involves one simple derivative. all other things are non-calculus vector operations.

acceleration of SR.pdf

oh... i guess i'll need to give more clarifications...sry about that;) (my teacher always tells me... more clarifications!)

a vector cross product of itself is zero... since

|a cross b|=|a||b|sin(o)

if a=b, o=0, the cross product is zero...

and

v dot v=|v|^2

i just made that v^2 and factor everything out...

and in some parts of the article, things involving gamma are simplified,

since

[math]\gamma=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}[/math]

*gotta learn how to use vectors in latex...

OK, it looks right to me now. But I didn't have time to go through every step. I would include additional steps between line 4 and 5 and I would add gamma's definition to the top. A little description of what the document is all about and it will look sound.

Best regards.

thanks for the replies, eloxer... good to know that someone proofread it. i bet you like physics as much as i do, otherwise you wouldn't spend the trouble going over some random physics things.

i just did it for a little fun. wasnt anything formal. :rolleyes:

man, does THAT sound geeky!

used to give these little derivations to my physics teacher. but its over now....

anyway, posting results kinda motivates me to do more physics. shall i say... intrinsic and extrinsic motivations working together?