Science Forums

The Grass is getting greener!

Guest chendoh

Guest chendoh

In having one of those 'Eureka' moments..........?????? :confused: ?????????

It is now,16 days after the Vernal Equinox here in the Northern Hemisphere.

My location.....40.2830N, 76.9750W, Enola, Pa. approximately 400miles east of TheBigDog's territory.

We had a short Thunder snowsquall pass through this morning at daybreak,

and I noticed, :) that it is looking like the Lawn is about ready for its first cut of the season.

I also observed last week, the grass being a lot browner.

Assumptions:

Warmth, moisture, food supply, Health, the sun, location in/out, of sun, sun's angle of incidence.

Query:

Is it the Sun's angle of incidence that is the main reason for triggering growth?

Guest chendoh
Query:

Is it the Sun's angle of incidence that is the main reason for triggering growth?

I dashed this off so quick.......Can there be a valid term as 'angle of incidence', maybe attack.....nah....

What would the hypotenuse of the sun's ray to the surface of the earth be called?......Off to the Hunt!!!

In any event, couldn't the raising of this angle, be compared as the same as your quote?

.......The lengthening of the day after Equinox and consequent additional warming.........

Not to turn this into a matter of semantics

The lengthening of the day after Equinox and consequent additional warming is usually accorded responsibility for triggering new growth. Tilt of Earth & all that.
Yes Turtle, the lengthening of the day but I remember reading somewhere that in basic terms, it has to do with the amount of sunlight that the grass is receiving. This would, ofcourse, increase with the lengthening of the day so long as the sky was not overcast.................Infy

I dashed this off so quick.......Can there be a valid term as 'angle of incidence', maybe attack.....nah....

What would the hypotenuse of the sun's ray to the surface of the earth be called?......Off to the Hunt!!!

In any event, couldn't the raising of this angle, be compared as the same as your quote?

Not to turn this into a matter of semantics

Angle of incidence is the correct terminology.

I think I understand that you have in mind a plant sensing the angle directly, & I have not run across any studies suggesting that.

I mentioned the lengthening day, but as you say the angle is greater too and so heating is increased by the more direct incidense.

At any rate, all I have read has the plants responding with new growth to longer light & higher temps [water always of course]. When I raised bonsai I always turned them regularly to promote even growth, as well as change their positions in the yard. I did wonder if this was a stressor to them, but ultimately it's stressing the trees that keeps them small so I went ahead doing it.:cup:

PS See 'tropism':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropism