Science Forums

Is the ascension of the resurrected Jesus plausible?

stevencarrwork

Acts 1

9 After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight.

10 They were looking intently up into the sky as he was going, when suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them. 11 "Men of Galilee," they said, "why do you stand here looking into the sky?

Is it really plausible to suggest that the resurrected Jesus got to Heaven, by travelling via the sky?

If he was resurrected, anything is possible.

If it's the method you question, your guess is as good as mine.

I agree with this. But it goes further than the resurrection. If you will allow for the possibility of the resurrection, then you ultimately allow for the possibly of the God described in Revelation 22:13

"I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End."

You either have to accept this about the nature of God, or the person of Jesus Christ or deny it. If you deny it, any concept of resurrection from the dead or an ascension is riduclous.

If Christ was truthful in His claims to divinity, then it is not at all foolishness to believe in the resurrection and ascension, because the divinity he claims is that of Jehovah Elohim, the I AM, the God that is timeless, immaterial, omnipotent and omniscient.

So if one believes his claim as being the human incarnation of the God of Israel, then it should not be at all absurd for one to believe the ascension as truth.

So if one believes his claim as being the human incarnation of the God of Israel, then it should not be at all absurd for one to believe the ascension as truth.

And if Christianity leads to the absurd conclusion that you get to Heaven by travelling via the sky, then it becomes absurd to believe that Jesus claimed to be the human incarnation of the God of Israel.

Of course, Jesus often forgot there was only one God and that he was that very God. 'My God, My God, why have you forsaken me', and 'Father , forgive them for they know not what they do', are strange things for a monotheistic god to say. Didn't God the Son have power to forgive sin?

And if Christianity leads to the absurd conclusion that you get to Heaven by travelling via the sky, then it becomes absurd to believe that Jesus claimed to be the human incarnation of the God of Israel.

Of course, Jesus often forgot there was only one God and that he was that very God. 'My God, My God, why have you forsaken me', and 'Father , forgive them for they know not what they do', are strange things for a monotheistic god to say. Didn't God the Son have power to forgive sin?

The trinity doctrine is unscriptural, as you have just demonstrated. Therefore, you can't use it to refute the validity of scripture.

The "route" he took to heaven is obviously not necessary, as made evident by the appearing of angels as Jesus ascended, or numerous other materializations or immaterializations referred to throughout the bible. We can only wonder as to why he went that way, but we cannot imply that he had to go that way in order to leverage our arguments.