Science Forums

Cheap Astrophotography Digital Camera

Noah

Hey, I just had to tell anybody interested in astronomy, and astrophotography about this. I bought a IBM PC Camera from Wal-Mart the other day for $15 (on sale) because I have seen where people have used web-cams like that (except better) to take astro-pics, and I figured for $15 I could give it a try. It does not have very good resolution so I cannot create a large picture or zoom in any. I first tried holding it up to the eyepiece of the telescope with the Moon, and the picture was so-so. A couple of nights later I took the circuit board with the sensor and all out, took the lenses off, and fixed it up to a 35mm film can, and put it on the eyepiece. That took a pretty good picture and I was able to get a picture of the star Vega with it. Now I have fixed a case and all for it so that it looks like a real CCD camera but mainly to prevent outside noise and hold it steady. I am going to start stacking the images to get better quality shots. So for less than $20, I got a good little camera to use for astronomy. If anybody wants one, just go to Wal-Mart to get one. They may be under the name of a "IBM PC Camera" or a $20 Veo.

Noah