Science Forums

Data/object transfer using light particle slipstream?

GreekTTC

Hey all...

...in doing some thinking, I came up with a question for the forum.

What would preclude someone from using the slipstream area behind a light beam to transmit data and/or objects at the speed of light?

"Slipstream" is defined as: "The area of reduced pressure or forward suction produced by and immediately behind a fast-moving object as it moves through air or water." Think automobile racing and "drafting" close the the rear bumper of the car in front of you. A pocket of pressure is created behind a moving mass of molecules (in the example, it's a car...in my question, it's a beam of light) that actually creates a pull in the same direction as the object it is created by.

The two things I can think of (with my limited knowledge) that might make this impossible are:

1. Objects being too massive to reach the speed of light (but what about data?)

and

2. Air pressure. There is no air in space. I'm guessing that air is needed to form the pocket of pulling pressure behind a moving object.

and

3. Does a beam of light even create a small slipstream behind it as it travels?

I dont think light has a slipstream because the electrons arent declared until they are measured so there is no light until something observes it.
Welcome to Hypography jettlarue; I think it is also thought worthy to remember that the photon has no mass and therefore would most likely not develope a so-called slipstream...........just a thought.

the photon has mass in the time dimension and that works with the spacetime relation so it does have mass just not anything you can interact with without observing it either unless you observed the time of the photon? i may be wrong but it does have definate time right. just maybe its time is 2d or more compared to our regular 1d time.