Science Forums

Questions about the Chronicles of Narnia

otcartsid

I found this interesting site (http://www.youthspecialties.com/free/programming/narnia/YouthSpecialties_Narnia_LWW.doc) discussing Lewis's "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe"

Some thought provoking questions:

-What is the difference between power and authority? What does The White Witch use? Aslan? What about Peter?

-Is it possible to negotiate with evil?

-Tony Campolo (the noted speaker and author) said that people are more likely to listen to Mother Teresa than they are to the Pope? Why do you think that is?

-How does sacrifice bring about credibility?

-The children are given titles at the end of the film.

Queen Lucy the Valiant

Queen Susan the Gentle.

King Edmund the Just

King Peter the Magnificent

How are these titles appropriate to the characters?

-What makes us more likely to give authority to one person over another?

-At the end of the film it is said that Aslan is not a tame lion, but he is good. Would you say this is accurate? How can we apply this same description to God? Can we? Should we?

Im not sure if I should have posted this on this forum. It was a tough call.

First, let us reiterate the notions of "good" and "evil." Throughout history, these concepts have often been proven as merely perspectives, based on the stance of the individual. Take for instance Hitler's regime and the viewpoints of certain groups. Obviously Hitler's followers (although they weren't very hard to convince) were for his ideas and saw nothing wrong with his supremacist ideas. Then there are the opposers: Hitler's acts were evil and bad. How can that be explained to his followers? It's akin to a Christian explaining to a Hindu that he believes the Hindu will go to Hell for his beliefs that he had never dreamt would be wrong. In essence, good and evil, as noted by Nietzsche, are mere surface reactions and, hence, require a deeper analysis to determine the true moral nature of the situation.

The question is then, what is the correct form of action? Was it right of the Allied Forces to use the same type method (death) that the Nazis used to kill the minorities of the opressed states? If death is considred the ultimatum in all wars, who must die then? Perspective, perspective, perspective. Through strict religious interpretation, the killing of the Nazis was no more "evil" than the genocide witnesses in Germany. However, it can be noted that Hitler violated the Social Contract Theory, and infringed upon the rights unfairly of a group that had done nothing to recieve this. Then these people should be emancipated from this treatment. A running theme throughout history.

The Christian God is often seen as all-knowing, all-powerful being, jealous god. There are many examples in the Bible where God strikes down those who disobey him and bring about shame (most notably in the story of the Ten Commandments). God is an entity that is ceasless in his love, but through this love he demands respect, obedience, and other well-known qualities. Aslan is a leader and a provider—a symbol of strength; however, he does not yield to anyone's command, just as God himself is at the hierarchy and cannot be commanded.

Nootropic, I agree with you about the concepts of good and evil being based on perspective

The themes of history can be quite interesting. I myself prefer them to just memorizing dates :shrug:

Thanks for taking the time to write up your comparison of the Christian God and Aslan. I would have to agree with you again there.

oh and welcome to the site, Nootropic

I suppose I should try to answer my own questions.

It's interesting that most differences of opinion stem from how people define things. I do think there is a difference between power and authority. I would say that power is more about the control someone has over another. Authority is more about the position of leadership someone has. I wouldnt say that power and authority go hand in hand. People can have power without authority and they be an authority figure while lacking power.

I don't think it's possible to negotiate with evil...even though it seems like there is always somthing that evil will want. There's just no point in it because evil will go against their word if it will benefit them.

I think some people are more likely to listen to Mother Teresa when they think that she has nothing to gain by saying what she does.

It's possible that sacrifice can bring about creditibility. People may trust you more because they know that you aren't a totally selfish person :shrug:

Im not sure about all the titles. I do have to say I totally agree with Lucy's. She is my favourite character. I love how she is brave enough to trust people, creatures and to experience new places and stand up for herself.

I really dont know about why we give authority to the people we do. I suppose it's just cause they have a way with words and making us trust them.

Aslan did seem good. I would also agree that he could come across as a fierce lion...being scary to enforce his power.

The Christian God seems to have a temper...especially when you read about him in the Old Testament but overall I think it's fair to describe the Christian God as a tame lion. He supposedly has all this power over us but yet he doesn't use it.

I found this interesting site (http://www.youthspecialties.com/free/programming/narnia/YouthSpecialties_Narnia_LWW.doc) discussing Lewis's "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe"

Some thought provoking questions:

-What is the difference between power and authority? What does The White Witch use? Aslan? What about Peter?

In my opinion, authority is granted by the person who agrees that the other has authority over him.

For example,the President has authority because he was voted in.

And when you join the Army, you agree that certain people are considered to have authority over you.

-Is it possible to negotiate with evil?

Yes, if you believe the Bible.

Job 1:12 The LORD said to Satan, "Very well, then, everything he has is in your hands, but on the man himself do not lay a finger."

God and Satan negotiate what may , or may not, be done to Job and his family.

-Tony Campolo (the noted speaker and author) said that people are more likely to listen to Mother Teresa than they are to the Pope? Why do you think that is?

It isn't.

-How does sacrifice bring about credibility?

From an evolutionary point of view, it demonstrates altruism.

Sometimes bats will share food. They sacrifice their own immediate interests, hoping that they will be repaid when they are the ones who need a sacrifice done for them.

-The children are given titles at the end of the film.

Queen Lucy the Valiant

Queen Susan the Gentle.

King Edmund the Just

King Peter the Magnificent

How are these titles appropriate to the characters?

It's so many years since I read the book that I can't say. I would be upset by the idea of people getting titles of Kings and Queens. Who do they think they are?

-What makes us more likely to give authority to one person over another?

Family (ie parents) are more likely to be given authority by their children than strangers.

People who we feel have the skills to lead in a particular situation are likely to be chosen as group leader. When a different skill set is needed in a leader, the leader may be changed.

-At the end of the film it is said that Aslan is not a tame lion, but he is good. Would you say this is accurate? How can we apply this same description to God? Can we? Should we?

Can lions be described as 'good' or 'evil'? Surely these are human terms, that can only be applied to humans.

A man-eating lion is not behaving immorally. It is just behaving dangerously.

From an evolutionary point of view, it demonstrates altruism.

Sometimes bats will share food. They sacrifice their own immediate interests, hoping that they will be repaid when they are the ones who need a sacrifice done for them.

Since they are receiving a benefit, even though it is deferred, then their actions cannot be said to be altruistic.

I supppose good and evil are terms more suited to describe humans than animals who are more focused on surviving.

I agree with you, Stevencarrwork about who we give authority to.

Eclogite is correct about stating that hoping for repayment is not considered true altruism. I have read a bit of a book called The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins. He tries to convince the reader that sacrifices occur because it seems like the best way to pass on your genes. It's an interesting theory

Eclogite is correct about stating that hoping for repayment is not considered true altruism. I have read a bit of a book called The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins. He tries to convince the reader that sacrifices occur because it seems like the best way to pass on your genes. It's an interesting theory

Is there such a thing as 'true' altruism?

Even the Bible says 'Cast your bread upon the waters, for after many days you will find it again.'

People work on a reciprocal favour basis.It is built into us, that we expect our good deeds to be rewarded, or at least returned.

Is there such a thing as 'true' altruism?

Even the Bible says 'Cast your bread upon the waters, for after many days you will find it again.'

People work on a reciprocal favour basis.It is built into us, that we expect our good deeds to be rewarded, or at least returned.

If you define altruism as doing something for someone else just because it makes you feel good, then perhaps there is such a thing. But if it makes you feel good, then it has a reciprocal value!

lindagarrette makes a good point about feeling good being a reciprocal value of helping others, etc

if you say that feeling good motivates someone to help others I guess you wouldnt define that helping behaviour as pure altruistic..on the other hand, if you say that this feeling good is just a byproduct of your helping you would be more likely to believe that true altruism exists