Science Forums

Can anyone identify this?

Hi!

Right, this is a science related puzzle – see if you can help shed some light on this mystery.

The title of the mystery is: Differently Lethal

A clue is: Sometimes you have to explore the deadly hall of mirrors

...and this is the picture that needs identifying:

Now, I have drawn the grid myself, it was not part of the original puzzle and I have enlarged the coordinates so they're readable. I'll post the original image in the morning...

Crystal diffraction? If so what could it be? Any suggestions more than welcome and gratefully received!!

Well it simply is a reflection of the different quadrants. take for intance the blotch seen at 10-2 becomes -102. Change this into the coordinates that you've aptely drawn and it becomes (10, -2) --> (-10,2). Repeat for all points.

What two axes is this a reflection in? To start figure out which quadrants are being reflected. Simply chose any two adjacent quadrants and rotate them together by 180 degrees. Then you'll have the entire image.

:eek2: ___For one thing, I see in the original image that it is made of 7 strips (colums) arranged side by side.

___Next, the skewed rectangular grid does not preserve distance between the points in regard to a Cartesion grid.

___The location is only part of the images information as the size & gray-scale intensity of the "dots" is relative to their generating system.

___They strike me as either images of stars or biotics.

Stars, you say. I'm completely in the dark here so I'm certainly not going to dispute it, although I was pretty confident about the crystal diffraction theory... Man, this is just getting more and more confusing...

Right, off to google 'Cartesion grid'.

Thank you both for your replies so far, hope there's more to come!