Science Forums

Electrolysis

P-man

___Are you electrolyzing water to recover the gasses or for plating metal? I have tried both.

___When I experimented with this, I at first added table salt to the water to increase the conductivity. In later experiments I used drain clog crystals in the solution(the chemical name slips my mind at the moment). The latter is extremely caustic; use all proper lab safety procedures.

___In general, many variations in the electrolyte have utility. In some electroplating, the metal for deposition is in the electrolyte & not one of the electrodes.

___Please do tell us your experiment parameters .:cup:

PS Sodium Hydroxide is the chemical; otherwise known as lye.

http://www.answers.com/topic/sodium-hydroxide

It's to make hydrogen to run a fuel cell.

___In that case, sodium hydroxide is the one I found recommended in literature I researched. Something about making more hydrogen available. I was using a small volume of water ( about 2 US gallons) with sodium hydroxide & low voltage (about 9 to 12 volts). In one experiment collecting the hydrogen, it took about 6 hours to collect 2 liter. I don't know the pressure as this was a home experiment. I inverted a 2 liter bottle full of water over the hydrogen electrode & it took 6 hours to displace the water.

___As hydrogen is highly flammable I cannot recommend any larger aparatus or higher pressures than I described. Try Googling electrolysis.:cup:

• 2 weeks later...