Science Forums

Sacred Sayings & Their Unraveling

Turtle

Spare the rod and spoil the child.

Found in the Septagent. The Bible. The Koran. Holy Scriptures...

Uniformally accepted to mean that one must punish a child or they will never learn.

First, the saying predates any & all of these works & is extant in Homer and/or Aristophenes. Therefore, the saying is repeated, or borrowed as it were.

Second, the saying is ubiquitously mis-interpreted; furthermore all these mis-interpretations stem from the definition or "rod".

Third, the "rod" is not a swithch, or a paddle, or a hand, or any such connotaion of a device for administering punishment. The "rod" is the Geo-Metric line. Period.

Fourth: Spare the rod & spoil the child, means that, if a person in charge of a child spares [withholds] the truth of the line from a child then the child suffers with a mis-representation of the world & their place in it.

Fifth: The truth of the line is the 'straight rod', or 'staff', or the 'needle'.

Sixth: Let those who have i see in their own i, in their own time.:confused:

That's deep dude. I like it. =) Has a very real-world meaning, too.

I've heard something similar said elsewhere. Picture a parent saying 'don't touch the vase or I'll...' (crash) 'don't stand on the coffee table or I'll...' (crash) etc. I believe it was referred to as a 'movable boundary.'

• 2 weeks later...

Judge not, lest ye be judged.

Found in sacred writings.

Ubiquitously mis-applied to mean that no "one" should judge any"one" else.

___What it means is that any "one" should withhold judgement untill they themselves have submitted to judgement, & then not only can they judge, but they have the responsibility to do so.

___When I began working as a carpenter, i did the grunt work because I didn't have the knowledge/skills to lay out a wall or stair. Now after many jobs carrying the boards to the stair master I took the opportunity to observe their work & ask occasional questions when I saw them doing something I didn't understand. After more of this, my questions revealed my understanding of stair building to the masters so that they knew I understood & I was promoted from grunt to apprentice. From grunt to apprentice, to journeyman, to master. I am as a master carpenter, qualified & required to judge the carpentry of other lesser carpenters & learn to master other carpentry specialties from other masters.

___The same is true for any situation which has an expression predisposed to judgement. Withhold your judgement untill you master the components, & then deliver your judgement.