Science Forums

Anti-Matter

Frogon

anit-matter are particles that are the same to that particles but having a opposite charge.

example, electron-positron

protron-anti-protron

quark-anti-quark

neutrion-anti-neutrion

they have opposite charges, althought some particles do not have charge, but they still have their anti-particles.

when a particle collide w/ their anti-particle, they destroy one another.

such as electron-positron creates photons.

this is the reason y anti-particles dont exist in our nature.

some scientists say that in the other part of the universe, there will be a majority numbers of anti-matter while the normal matter dont exist.

(anti-protrons bind w/ anti-neutrons and positrons and form matter, also other particles.)

(just some little information.)

So, if someone made a anti-matter bomb, it would destroy everything? Or would it just destroy the certain element its "anti" with, like a anti-matter hydrogen, would just destroy all the hydrogen it touched.

(hey, im smart enought to use the edit button too!)

do you guys understand what I am saying, or just have no clue?

You are thinking on too grand of a scale. You are thinking on a scale of Newtonian or General Relativity level. The billiard ball atom model. Think of anti-mater on a partical level.

At all times, the total energy in existence is equal to zero. In QM, a Quantum event generates a quantum pair. A particle and it's anti-particle. They balance out. They head in opposite directions. They would annihilate each other or other opposite particles.

We are not talking about grabbing some glob of anti-matter and setting it on the ground. You need to think much, much, much smaller than that.

YOu can find a number of good sites for this, CERN has one at:

http://livefromcern.web.cern.ch/livefromcern/antimatter/index.html

Or NASA's

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2000/ast29may_1m.htm

Or Lawrance Berkley Lab

http://particleadventure.org/particleadventure/frameless/antipreface.html

Remember think small!

• 1 month later...

personally i don't think we have any antimatter in this dimension at al, for it would be destroyed instantly. you know what, i have a theory called "the theory of flexon energy", i will post it, i know it is full of mistakes, i just haven't gotten around to fixing them yet. fist off, it states that space is NOT juat a vast void of emptiness, it is an actual object. but, it is on the grandest of scales, we have absolutely no way of measuring it, because, well, it IS what we are measuring with. also, one of the things i need to fix with it, i read about a theory called Jellotivity, this theory is much much better than mine, and i actually accept it over mine. so i "murged" the two theories, and the only thing left of my theory is the inol theory, because i took flexon energy out, and left inol jello in. if you wish to learn more about jellotivity, please search for it, as i do not have permission to post it here, adn do not wish to take on the responsibility of explaining it. anyways, the aether is back in bussiness my friends, and with that in mind, EVERYTHING must be matter and not anti-matter in this dimensions, in anotehr dimension it may be the opposite, but in this one, it is simply matter. anti-matter can be created, but would be instantly destroyed as the aether would destroy it.

Eric

Originally posted by: CD27

"personally i don't think we have any antimatter in this dimension at al, for it would be destroyed instantly."

The good people at CERN will be disappointed to hear that. They are currently producing 50 million anti-protons per minute. I suggest you research the subject, Google antimatter.

CD27: "personally i don't think we have any antimatter in this dimension at al, for it would be destroyed instantly."

In addition to what Uncle Martin stated, have you ever heard of PET? That's POSITRON emission tomography, used as a means of diagnostic scanning in the health industry.

Ever hear of beta decay? It's one form of nuclear decay and is mentioned quite frequently in school texts on chemistry/physics. Beta decay is the one in which a neutron decays into a proton and a beta particle (high energy electron)...at least that's the way it's usually described (the events actually occur on the quark level). Usually not mentioned, but always involved, is the production of an anti-neutrino.

No, the mass of protons and anti-protons, and of electrons and positrons, is the same: it's the opposite electric charges that make then anti particles. So the mass of an anti-atom of hydrogen would have the same mass as an ordinary atom of hydrogen.

This leads to the question what is mass? Is it just a mathematical concept? The smallest measurable mass has to be a quark.

So the question is, what do we mean by the mass of a quark and how do we measure it. The quantity we call quark mass is actually related to the m in F = ma (force = mass x acceleration). This equation tells us how an object will behave when a force is applied. The equations of particle physics include, for example, calculations of what happens to a quark when struck by a high energy photon. The parameter we call quark mass controls its acceleration when a force is applied. It is fixed to give the best match between theory and experiment both for the ratio of masses of various hadrons and for the behavior of quarks in high energy experiments. However, neither of these methods can precisely determine quark masses.

Physics Today, Sept, 2003

Surely they are producing particles which they have determined to be and call antiprotons. forgetting the name they are particles with opposite charge that anialate Protons . You all say that anti particles dont exist and yet if Cern are producing them they clearly can exist unless you dont consider France to be part of our universe.