Science Forums

Straight Line?

Eugene

It is suggested that just as itis not possible to describe the absolute static condition or perfect circle neither can there be accepted the possibility for the absolute straight line. A question arises regarding the theory for space curvature. Do we have any evidence or definitive figure (however minimal) for degree of curvature of the line? Does the curvature of space by its immensity have a 'gravitational' effect upon a so-called straight projection?

Eugene

I have a paradox that states mathematically, in the univere, a straight line cannot exist; however, it probably was thought of before me. That's the problem these days... hehe... no room for anymore ideas! A straight line may exist if it leaves the fabric of spacetime, but if it stays within the universe, and the universe curves, then the line will no longer equal 180 degrees, and thus is not a straight line. So, it depends on how you think about it. But as long as the line exists within the universe, it will not be a straight line.

Mallory,

I agree...but why do you think that is? Does space have curvature which effects a sort of gravitational force upon straightness; and if so, would that not suggest an aether?

Eugene

"We have nothing not given and nothing given not asked for."

Mallory,

At Last! I have found my mentor! Now that we have the line out of the way we can concentrate on curvature. Why is it that whatever distance on arc of the quadrant that figure multiplied by 8 gives the radian? Thanks in advance....

Eugene