Science Forums

Calculate bacteria concentraion and bacteriophage

Nico96

2 hours ago, Nico96 said:

10ml of suspension of e.coli contained 2.7×10⁷ CFUml-1 was mixed with 3ml suspension of bacteriophage containing 8.9×10⁹ PFU ml-1 

What is the final concentrations of bacteriophage and bacteria? 

You have not given enough information to actually solve this problem, you would need to either know how much time has passed and the type of bacteriophage or the infectivity of the bacteriophage and the amount of time along with the information you currently have, but what I can tell you is there would be alot less bacteria than 2.7×10⁷ CFUml-1 and many more bacteriophage than  8.9×10⁹ PFU ml-1

If we assume the average bacteriophage

The average latent period and the average burst size are neither increased nor decreased by a fourfold infection of the bacteria with phage. 10. The average burst size is independent of the temperature, and is about 60 phage particles per bacterium."

then the answer would be 10,520,000,000 PFU ml-1, but only over a long period of time of days as it would need to consume all the bacteria present however if you had the amount of time you could calculate the reproduction rate of the bacteria and get a better answer but roughly that if the bacteria aren't reproducing and are stagnant. For Instance, I take 10 ml of bacteria and 5 ml of bacteriophage T4 and pour them both into a 500 ml flask with agar solution and the bacteria reproduce then the bacteriophages kill them and reproduce and it fills the entire 500 ml flask with bacteriophages over months, which shows that small amounts initially can make huge amounts over time if you have the right conditions and a long enough period of time as the bacteria will reproduce as the bacteriophages kill them.

So the answer is you need a time frame to calculate the bacteria reproduction.

exponential-growth.png

Edited by VictorMedvil

Bacteria which are single cells organism can be removed by bacteriophages which can also remove Drug Resistant bacteria found in hospitals.

https://www.cdc.gov/drugresistance/about.html

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC90351/

So if you were being diseased by bacteria and they mutate to be drug resistant the bacteriophages can still remove them.

download.jpg

download-1.jpg

Edited by VictorMedvil

• 10 months later...
On 9/12/2022 at 11:29 AM, johnpery said:

To obtain the concentration of phage in the stock suspension, divide the number of plaques counted by the dilution factor. Therefore, the bacteriophage stock has a titer of 1.8 × 1010 PFU/mL.find more on Sodium Hypo Chlorite

Oh well, I was close I said 1.05 x 10^10 PFU/mL but I did say it would be slightly higher based on bacterial reproduction however making a biophysical model of living systems is difficult especially ones with so many components.

Edited by Vmedvil5