Science Forums

Space.

jettlarue

Was the big bang an explosion of space or an explosion in space? Since there was no universe yet because no matter was there yet. If space exploded everything would be gone but nothing would affect the unverse yet because there was nothing to affect. So wouldnt a particle have to already be there for it to be shaped into anything? Also because the universe was null in all dimensions, all of them would be infinite when the explosion took place. So what would time be if it was ininite? since we only see time on a one dimensional level couldnt that make the theory for multiple universes proved if was on say a 2d level? Also coudnt a virtual particle be infinite of all dimensions whisch would cause breaking down intocircles but automatically turned back into perfect symettery of space which would make the depth of gravity also infinite. Then since i believe also since space as no defined area it can be whatever it is shaped in which would make everything have order also creating gravity. Please give your nsights on this idea or try to fix inconsistansies(spelling?).

I will forgive you for the spelling(mines not to good either)!

The universe apparently started with a singularity in which all space-time was at a single point. Yes it was an explosion of space, but I guess you can say that it was in space also becuase of the incredible amount of heat involved in the early universe (of which you can still observe as cosmic background radiation).

This topic has been discussed a few times before, mainly in the cosmology section - I suggest doing a search :shrug:

Was the big bang an explosion of space or an explosion in space?
I’d say there is a consensus among people with strong formal scientific educations to answer “the Big Bang was an explosion of space, not in space,” while people less formal (mathematical) people tend to find this answer nonsensical, and conclude the opposite.

Though my scientific formalism is not strong enough to convincingly argue the position, I believe the Big Bang was of space. Please allow me to explain this belief.

Because I don’t understand the terminology of Inflationary Cosmology well enough to use it properly, my argument relies on Quantum Physics, as follows:

• Empty space – vacuum – is not “really” empty, but contains a definite amount of mass/energy in the form of virtual particles. The Casimir effect is experimental evidence of this.
  • Without these virtual particles, real particles cannot behave appropriately. For example, without the as yet not experimentally verified Higgs interaction, the Fermions that make up ordinary matter would not exhibit appropriate inertial mass.
  • Like fermionic matter, virtual particles like the Higgs boson were produced by the Big Bang.
  • Therefore, before the Big Bang, “empty space” was truly empty, and could not contain ordinary matter.

Note that I have no clear opinion if the Big Bang was a single singularity, or occurred in many places in the visible universe, nor if it was a one-time occurrence, or part of a repeating cycle of Big Bang/Big Crunches.