Science Forums

Shrinking displays, seeing the big picture

the original thread

In the original thread above I detail roughly how the end effect would be acheived. The invention is an improovement over standard HUD systems. The display surface itself would be too small for the human eye to see effectively, thus magnification and distancing would be necessary.

The math involved in that 1 slice of the device is still boggling my brain, been pushing around the numbers for close to 3 weeks but I can't get the right numbers to come out; it's been too long since I was in math class.

either way, the projected display is visible only when illuminated. The prototype would use a video chip currently in production, though that chip is .5 inches and only 800*600 res. I'm looking into Self-assembly Nano-tech materials for the next stage prototype, possibly shrinking the pixletts(R,G,B) down to 20nm or less. This would be by adapting some technology currently demonstrated to/by IBM for making Flash RAM.

Thoughts? Help? Flames?

this would be good for goggle type screens, one for each eye. could be used in military or civilian applications such as 3D imaging for unmanned remote vehicles like small aerial vehicles or even your own remote control car (I can imagine now how fun it would be to drive an r/c car around the neighborhood watching from an in-the-drivers seat point of view), imagine what the much anticipated Gran Turismo 4 video game would be like in 3D!!! This could be the next level in realistic video game play technology for the next generation of game consoles.

not a bad idea at all, I say.

Precisely why I've been woring on the project. THe only hitch I've run into so far is that no-one can help me figure out the math for the 2 parabolic reflectors.

The rest of the design is (relatively) simplistic, but the parabolic math is stumping me. it's compounded by the fact that the total equation involved 4 seperate parabolas; 3 of them reflectors, 1 a simple convex lens. I'd appreciate any thoughts on the math involved, perhapse I'm just pushing the numbers around the wrong way.