Science Forums

Problem solving

Hey there!

That's my first post in here. The first thing which comes to my mind as what topic of this post should be is the following question:

They say the best way to develop and train problem solving skills is by creating one's own problems.

I'm still a "passive" problem solver but I'd like to learn solving problems in an "active" way.

Could you give me some advice, name some guidelines on how to create new, own problems?

Thanks in advance. :)

Hey there!

That's my first post in here. The first thing which comes to my mind as what topic of this post should be is the following question:

They say the best way to develop and train problem solving skills is by creating one's own problems.

I'm still a "passive" problem solver but I'd like to learn solving problems in an "active" way.

Could you give me some advice, name some guidelines on how to create new, own problems?

Thanks in advance. :eek_big:

Welcome to Hypography symplectic_manifold, problems are a fact of life. There all around us, but unless they are acute problems, meaning those that can really harm us, they add adventure to our lives. What would life be if everything came easy, but then again, we couldn't call it life if it were that easy could we. The great problem solvers of history are those men that attain unto the best that humanity has to offer. I think your questions are very good ones, and I wish you the best of success in your problem solving life.............................enjoy.

Infamous, thank you very much for your warm welcome greeting. :)

I think a misunderstanding has arisen, if I'm not mistaken. It may be my fault that I forgot to specify what kind of problems I meant in my initial message. These are (non-standard) mathematical/physical problems. So it's all about the transition from solving problems to inventing problems in mathematics/physics. I heard of many famous or perspective mathematicians/physicists, who created their own problems for competitions in mathematics and physics, for example (such as IMO or national olympiads).

I have been thinking about how they managed to become problem inventors, what specific techniques, methods they possibly used. I was also wondering if it is true that one cannot assign their creativity to their genius alone. So that was again a brief summary of my initial question.