Science Forums

THinking about Soft Drinks

somebody

Hey guys last night i was putting my coke in to glass and then suddenly realize that the bubles that the gas forms says on the battom of the glass and also around the ice cube...

Generally speaking not all the bubles stay inside but y do other buble escape and others not.. is it becuase of density? or something else is causing that?

Hey guys last night i was putting my coke in to glass and then suddenly realize that the bubles that the gas forms says on the battom of the glass and also around the ice cube...

Generally speaking not all the bubles stay inside but y do other buble escape and others not.. is it becuase of density? or something else is causing that?

It has to do with the surface tension of the liquid. I think the easiest way to think about it might be in terms of energy. The bubbles that form around the ice cube and the glass are shaped like domes, not spheres. A full bubble actually has more energy then the half bubbles around the dome (because one surface is already provided for the bubble).

So, in order for a half bubble to break away from the surface and float to the top, it will need to gain the extra energy needed to close it and forma full bubble. Try tapping the side of your glass and watch the bubbles float away.

-Will