Science Forums

Brainprints?

weamy

The authentication process could be something like this: You start the game, you login, and you place your hand on some kind of interface window that will scan it, and check if its the same as when you started up for the first time and registered, or the nervegear would have somekind of finger scanning system that would store the data inside the nervegear, but isn't it possible to hack your account that way? The security system that would be made for the nervegear is a complete different story, and is actually a close problem for now, as because we need to decide of what parts is it going to consist. Lets be fair with everything, there is no such thing as a PERFECT & COMPLETE security system that would be unhackable in any way and the fact that nowadays you can almost DDOS anyone and ANYTHING is terrorising.

I've got couple of points to the DDOS point I made. First of all you have 1 starting point, network. The network shares internet to giant companies, like MTC and Beeline in Russia, or O2, Vodafone, T-Mobile and others in England, thats not the point, there is endless amount of these networks around the world. And in own order these networks share internet to other individuals and smaller companies, thought even these can share internet to even SMALLER companies that share internet and network to their customers. And this web of sharing is really big, so it's not that hard to buy off a company and DDOS someone or some computer system. I think expirienced gamers would understand what I'm talking about, not just gamers but also people that work at such companies or study computer science/programming, doesn't matter really. 

How would we deal with such attacks? How would we deal with hackers? It's just enough to know a little bit about proxy and some programming to become a "hacker", because the definition "hacker" is a computer programmer, at least thats what i've learnt from over 10years of studying computer programming/science. 

All of that puts us in a very hard situation, as because we will need to take care of our product users, their anonymity and safety. 

If the NerveGear becomes a real invention one day, there will be endless people hunting for hacking our product customers/users and network, seeking for the "source code" and files, after all there are just really fkd up people all around the world that are just jelous, or bigger companies that would not like the progressing of some other projects that could harm their business, they would rather have their own projects growing and no one harming their ideas/plans. Give me your ideas, I'm really dumb to think about this myself... Or actually no I'm not, but all of my thoughts up to now seem pretty dumb even for myself, but I'd like to see and read what you guys think about this, and maybe I'll also share my own ideas of what I have been thinking, I've made couple of security systems for my earlier projects and I think you guys would be interested in hearing about them ;) I'm really hyped about this thread now, I'm doing researches daily and I'll be as active as I can from now on, I think I've got plenty of time for helping this project progress. 

There's an even more secure way than fingerprint scanning. 'Brainprint' scannng which could be done by the Nerve Gear. Check out the article: http://neurosciencenews.com/eeg-brainprint-neuroscience-4079/

• 4 weeks later...

Brainprints seems reasonable, although it looks like a few people here does not quite understand how the VR system would actually work. It's not like your character ingame is a 100% replica of yourself; remember, what you see there, is an avatar.

So if you put your virtual fingers on a so-called fingerprint scanner, it would make no difference than not. The VR headset would merely read the data from your brain, not your fingers. Which, in short, means that the authentication would already have been completed by the time the game has started. I'm not even sure if we can measure the fingerprints just by stimulating the brain.

Brainprints seems reasonable, although it looks like a few people here does not quite understand how the VR system would actually work. It's not like your character ingame is a 100% replica of yourself; remember, what you see there, is an avatar.

So if you put your virtual fingers on a so-called fingerprint scanner, it would make no difference than not. The VR headset would merely read the data from your brain, not your fingers. Which, in short, means that the authentication would already have been completed by the time the game has started. I'm not even sure if we can measure the fingerprints just by stimulating the brain.

I doubt the human brain has the ability to recognize fine details like that when remembering things, I always thought your brain stitched memories together from individual memories of appearance, hence why when I think about stuff from my past I see the faces of the people as they look today, not the small children they would be in a photograph. Maybe I'm a bit different (on an official school IQ test in grade 3 I got a 16 in memory... yeah) and you guys might have different experiences than I have with your memories(I have nearly none from more than 6 years ago) and everybody is different. I guess I just banked my intelligence points in language and arithmetic instead, with a respective 139 and 131 for IQ scores... Might be balanced by my respective 16, 32 and 64 I also got in other categories!

It seems the moderators have moved our posts into another topic. Which I'm not sure was the right move considering posts #2 to #7 have nothing to do with 'brain-prints'.

EDIT: Oh, they've moved #2 to #7 back. Yay.

I'm not even sure if we can measure the fingerprints just by stimulating the brain.

I don't think we can. They call it 'brainprints' because it can be used for security systems like fingerprints and because each persons one is unique.

They actually measure brain waves in response to an image shown on a screen using an EEG.

Edited by weamy

• 3 weeks later...

There's actually a problem with these brainprints.

We can't record and strore it (Though we shouldn't need to) , because it would be a massive invasion of privacy as it can identify people.

Imagine Google but it has your fingerprints stored and therefore knows exactly who you are.