Science Forums

Planet Between Mars And Jupiter

Moontanman

Any one want to give an educated guess as to how long a planet like Ceres would be stable in orbit around our Moon at a distance of around 1000 to around 5000 miles, more or less circular orbit. would it be more stable in close to the Moon or a bit further away?  And could such an object orbit the Earth inside the moons orbit. I know my questions are childish and a pain in the *** but there is a method to my madness... 

The mass difference between the two - Ceres and the asteroid - are many orders of magnitude. That makes a huge difference. Plus, its orbit can be continually corrected.

How about in orbit of the Earth? Could the Earth have two Moons? Since no orbit is stable forever I wonder how long the orbit of Ceres around the moon would last, millions of years? Thousands of years? three hours seems a bit short and the same for a second moon of the Earth Ceres sized, are there better spots than others between the Earth and the Moon? 

I guess i should have asked this in general discussion since it is so speculative but I am outlining a story about aliens contact between the Earth and a super civilization, it will mostly be about how humans perceive the actions of an intelligence they never meet and can one discern by the seemingly random and arbitrary effects they have on our solar system.. 

Kind of like building a huge metropolis around the habitat of bonobos and then trying to figure out what is going on... 

Edited by Moontanman

Well if these are powerful aliens there isn't an issue. They can continually adjust the orbit of the planet or asteroid as required using whatever alien powers they have.

The three hour number was because you asked for an educated guess. I am educated and that was my guess.

The point is that I would have to undertake at least a three year study of maths to be in a position to properly understand how these calculations and simulations are made. What I am in a position do to is to make qualitative observations based on the conclusions they reach. The three hour number was my way of saying I don't think a stable orbit is likely in these circumstances.

Well if these are powerful aliens there isn't an issue. They can continually adjust the orbit of the planet or asteroid as required using whatever alien powers they have.

The three hour number was because you asked for an educated guess. I am educated and that was my guess.

The point is that I would have to undertake at least a three year study of maths to be in a position to properly understand how these calculations and simulations are made. What I am in a position do to is to make qualitative observations based on the conclusions they reach. The three hour number was my way of saying I don't think a stable orbit is likely in these circumstances.

One more reason the people who are trying to figure out what is happening can claim it cannot be a natural phenomena... of course the religious can still claim it's god, should be plenty of drama...