Science Forums

Walking For Exercise

Laci

They say that walking is one of the best forms of exercise. Any walkers on the board here? Personally, I love to walk. It requires no special equipment. You can sneak in extra walking time here and there without cutting in to your daily responsibilities. You usually feel great afterwards also.

• 1 month later...

I started a walking regimen about two weeks ago and I have to say, already I feel more energetic and fit into a pair of jeans I couldn't snap shut before I started!

I like it so much I'm planning to buy walking DVDs to use on rainy days & when the weather gets colder.

I walk several kilometers every day just in tending to my horses and yard. I also have work three nights a week in a grocery store which involves a great deal of walking and movement, all 8 hours I am on the move. (This helps to compensate for the two morning shifts as an office admin. where I sit at a desk.) As long as a person wears comfortable footwear and clothing, I think walking is among the most user-friendly forms of activity for our species. As the OP points out, it requires no special equipment.

Nature designed us for this activity.

If you have nothing specific that you must exercise for, walking is great; even with a major workout regime myself, I still like good, long walks outside, take in nature, absorb vitamin D, etc. I don't do it anywhere near enough anymore.