Science Forums

Seawater Bughouse

Eclipse Now

Hi all,

I’ve added these videos about Entomophagy (eating bugs) to my Green deserts page because I’ve just GOT to get this idea out there and see if some entrepreneur takes this idea and run with it! Basically, I'm thinking that the Sundrop Farms Seawater Greenhouse (which is now growing to about 4 hectares outside Adelaide and turns seawater + desert + a greenhouse + sunshine into FOOD)should also be combined with insect breeding for protein. What would we call it? A Seawater BUGHOUSE? Protein from the deserts?

Now it gets really interesting. Insects are an ancient delicacy, high in protein, that convert biomass feedstock into protein much, much more efficiently than cows. It’s called Entomophagy and could be the next great agricultural revolution.

See this TED talk for a 5 minute summary:

Or this hour long BBC Documentary for more.

What I’d love to see the economics for is whether there is a way to combine seawater greenhouse technology with Entomophagy, and grow the tastiest bugs we want in the desert in the lush, green, coolness of seawater greenhouses. Protein from our deserts! There’s just got to be an economic model that works.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never tried it, but I understand restaurants are starting to serve them because they *taste* good. Fried and crunchy, not squishy with green things.

Like most thing I guess there is a depends on what kind message there but if you can raise insects you should be able to raise crustaceans too...

Hi all,

... Insects are an ancient delicacy, high in protein, that convert biomass feedstock into protein much, much more efficiently than cows. It’s called Entomophagy and could be the next great agricultural revolution.

... There’s just got to be an economic model that works.

While it may look good on paper -the economics that is- I'm skeptical about bug ranching scaling up to match the output of beef and do so more efficiently. The best laid plans of meal worms and men, often go awry. You gonna eat that? :fly: :tongue:

While it may look good on paper -the economics that is- I'm skeptical about bug ranching scaling up to match the output of beef and do so more efficiently. The best laid plans of meal worms and men, often go awry. You gonna eat that? :fly: :tongue:

I might, if I was confident it had been cooked properly. Australia has a lot of interesting Asian food, and I saw one of our celebrity chef's touring Cambodia and other places recently. He was sampling some of the enormous piles of fried bugs, and said how fantastically yummy they all were!

I might, if I was confident it had been cooked properly. Australia has a lot of interesting Asian food, and I saw one of our celebrity chef's touring Cambodia and other places recently. He was sampling some of the enormous piles of fried bugs, and said how fantastically yummy they all were!

I've seen similar bug munchy scenes on cooking shows. :chef: Some bug-munching going on in Mexico too if I recall correctly. I don't have a problem with eating bugs per se, particularly if properly cooked as you say. I just don't think raising them scales up to be as green as the proponents claim in regards replacing beef, pork, or chicken for example. People would still need to grow feedstock plants, remove waste, process, package, and ship bugs, and all those other earthy realities attendant to producing protein rich foods. No doubt if it were to come to fruition some bug-rights activists would be having a cow. :rant: :lol: