Science Forums

Do You Believe In Trolls?

sigurdV

Trollhunting is a popular sport in English Forums. Dont you agree?

PPL get banished for being Trolls and nobody raises an eyebrow?

Are there really Trolls? Doesnt Trolls only exist in the imagination of the Trollhunter?

Just like witches only existed in the imagination of the Inquisition?

Is Trollhunting a Psycho-Social disease then?

Id like to consult you for a diagnosis please! :fever:

Trollhunting is a popular sport in English Forums. Dont you agree?

PPL get banished for being Trolls and nobody raises an eyebrow?

Are there really Trolls? Doesnt Trolls only exist in the imagination of the Trollhunter?

Just like witches only existed in the imagination of the Inquisition?

Is Trollhunting a Psycho-Social disease then?

Id like to consult you for a diagnosis please! :fever:

Philosopher heal theyself. :jab:

Internet Trolls

What is a Troll?

An Internet "troll" is a person who delights in sowing discord on the Internet. He (and it is usually he) tries to start arguments and upset people.

Trolls see Internet communications services as convenient venues for their bizarre game. For some reason, they don't "get" that they are hurting real people. To them, other Internet users are not quite human but are a kind of digital abstraction. As a result, they feel no sorrow whatsoever for the pain they inflict. Indeed, the greater the suffering they cause, the greater their 'achievement' (as they see it). At the moment, the relative anonymity of the net allows trolls to flourish.

Trolls are utterly impervious to criticism (constructive or otherwise). You cannot negotiate with them; you cannot cause them to feel shame or compassion; you cannot reason with them. They cannot be made to feel remorse. For some reason, trolls do not feel they are bound by the rules of courtesy or social responsibility.

Perhaps this sounds inconceivable. You may think, "Surely there is something I can write that will change them." But a true troll can not be changed by mere words.

Everyone uses that word wrong, wrong enough to the point where it is defined wrong on most webtionaries. The word used the way it is now originated from 4chan when 4chan used to be good for something, before all the cancer, and before reddit and onion sites were a thing. All the definition of major sites describe trolls as what people who got trolled describe them as, so their definitions are wrong. All their definitions are only defining what it is "to **** with someone." Trolling is not simply to **** with someone, and anyone who thinks so was successfully trolled. A troll is not a person either.

A troll is the active use of deception to intentionally trick someone into believing something that is false, usually to reduce the population of idiots in a given area. For example, people would post pictures of syringes filled with air saying that they just injected 50mg of air into their blood stream giving them the greatest high ever because of the pure oxygen getting to their brain. People would then try this and die because pure air in your veins kills you. This is an example of a successful troll, not a person being annoying on a forum. This also gives way to the expression that, "trolling is a art," because it takes a certain kind of prank to be able to execute harm on that level, without ever doing anything yourself.

Another good example is the trickery of the definition of troll, which is another successful troll, because people think it is something it's not; they were deceived. The cure to trolls is to not be stupid. The cure to people ****ing with you, is to **** with them back. Please be aware of the differentiation and have a nice day.

Edited by Snax

Philosopher heal theyself. :jab:

What is a Troll?

An Internet "troll" is a person who delights in sowing discord on the Internet. He (and it is usually he) tries to start arguments and upset people.

Perhaps I AM "sowing discord on the Internet" but I have no wish to do so! And I feel absolutely no delight in it!

Trolls see Internet communications services as convenient venues for their bizarre game.

I play no games everything I do is for REAL!

For some reason, they don't "get" that they are hurting real people.

I cant understand what I do that hurts people? I think its the other way around: I hurts to get banned, to get threads closed, to be accused of being a TROLL...

I think "Trollhunters" are Sick People! I think Trollhunting will be recognised to be on par with Witch Hunting in the future! Ive seen lots of examples (not involving me) of maltreatment...

Moderators using flawed arguments against so called trolls!

I want professional opinions on that, by a SET of Qualified people.

Ive started a search for them, beginning with this thread! Dedicated to the question whether there Really are TROLLS! There are deranged people thats true. Some people just cant be helped... I understand that...But I myself is too often considered to be a troll and I assure you no psychologist studying my texts will agree on me fitting the desription!

To them, other Internet users are not quite human but are a kind of digital abstraction. As a result, they feel no sorrow whatsoever for the pain they inflict. Indeed, the greater the suffering they cause, the greater their 'achievement' (as they see it). At the moment, the relative anonymity of the net allows trolls to flourish.

Trolls are utterly impervious to criticism (constructive or otherwise). You cannot negotiate with them; you cannot cause them to feel shame or compassion; you cannot reason with them. They cannot be made to feel remorse. For some reason, trolls do not feel they are bound by the rules of courtesy or social responsibility.

Perhaps this sounds inconceivable. You may think, "Surely there is something I can write that will change them." But a true troll can not be changed by mere words.

I can hardly believe that you think many people anser to the desription!

This characterisation reminds me of a characterisation of witches... who wrote it?

It should be brought to the attention of psychologists!

(And I think some lawmen should look at it as well... it might be illegal to accuse someone to fit the description.) ...In short: suggest to them that a serious Scientific appraisal of the phenomen needs to be done.

I might in passing inform you that the phenomenon is unheard of in Sweden! I shall immediately publish this "Troll Manifest" at home.

WHY? Because the "trollhunters" are probably a worse social threat than the trolls! Reading this its easily understood that Trollhunters delight in their "holy mission" of discovering "trolls",accusing them and banning them after a period of delightful harassing: If this is allowed to go on where will it lead?

A troll is the active use of deception to intentionally trick someone into believing something that is false, usually to reduce the population of idiots in a given area. For example, people would post pictures of syringes filled with air saying that they just injected 50mg of air into their blood stream giving them the greatest high ever because of the pure oxygen getting to their brain. People would then try this and die because pure air in your veins kills you. This is an example of a successful troll, not a person being annoying on a forum. This also gives way to the expression that, "trolling is a art," because it takes a certain kind of prank to be able to execute harm on that level, without ever doing anything yourself.

excuse the big snip...

your definition is pretty accurate for a few years ago but just in the same sense as how gay used to mean happy and carefree. meanings of words change with use, context and popularity and they do so increasingly quickly on a medium such as the internet. when the majority of users accept or agree on a meaning then that meaning would have to be said to be the currently correct one.

i would hold that the definitions that turtle posted up are pretty accurate for now. a troll is someone who knowingly and wilfully posts material on the internet, mostly on forums or open comments sections, that are designed to rile people and seek a reaction. there are also, i think, different levels of trolling and most internet users have probably engaged in some degree of it. (this last sentence is unscientific personal opinion - apologies for that).

to be a troll there has to be intent. therefore i don't think sigurd is a troll.