Science Forums

Black Hole Event Horizon As A Firewall

JMJones0424

The video explains it very well how it will act as a firewall. I am trying to find susskind's paper actually. bcz the video description didn't have the correct link to it. Can someone plz tell me where I can find it.

Anyway, its awesome to see it coming true what I was thinking i.e. I used to think blackhole horizons should act like a deadly zone where everything is destroyed or incinerated.

Came across this in youtube, two papers and a youtube video giving a layman's explanation. The view that there's nothing particularly special about the event horizon, from the perspective of infalling matter, is being questioned.

Black Holes: Complementarity or Firewalls?

Complementarity And Firewalls

The horizon is quite special actually, it causes many problems, such as black holes should be, for any outside observer, infinitely stable.

Consider how long it actually takes for light to reach an outside observer, we would actually never see a black hole evaporate in radiation. Only inwardly falling observers actually see the events of a black hole take place. A black hole of course, will evaporate, only that anyone sitting outside of it will never see this happen, which is an interesting anomaly.

Can you show some evidence that the conditions inside a black hole are similar to conditions at the beginning of the universe?

Depending on how our universe began, the universe could have started actually with a construct similar to a black hole.

Also later in the universes history, our ''universe'' could have conditions similar to what can be expected inside a black hole.

The horizon is also special because anyone who passes by it, experience a coordinate swap in both space and time. It is not that space becomes time or that time becomes space, it is only a coordinate artifact, but still very special as it has everything to do why some things are dragged to the singularity beyond the horizon. Mathematically, it is a beautiful construct.