Science Forums

Creatine Supplementation. Does It Alter Neurotransmitters?

davekm

This link doesn’t work. It has actual “…”s in it. Can you fix it, Dave?

This study seem to indicate that it reduce serotonin.

It’s hard to comment without reading the paper, but I’d be surprised if there’s a direct link between creatine and serotonin.

Creatine-rich dietary supplements (the most common, and the only one with which I have experience, is creatine monohydrate), used before intense anaerobic exercise, have an unmistakable effect: you feel less tired during exercise, and less sore after. This has a psychological impact. In my case (I only used creatine monohydrate when doing construction work, to avoid feeling exhausted and run down after work), this improved my mood and general happiness (especially because it improved my after-work social experiences), which might have produces an increase in brain serotonin levels.

Remember, as we’ve previously discussed, serotonin levels are problematic to measure, so, like nearly all psychophysiopharmacology involving it, this is speculative.

The physiology of creatine, on the other hand, is relatively simple, well-understood, and easy to measure.

I read in a livestrong article that this is because creatine thickens the blood plasma

This sounds like a myth to me.

Serum and plasma creatine concentration is very low compared to other blood factors (typically 2 to 12 and rarely exceeding around 100 mg/L, compared to, for example, glucose’s 800-1200), and it doesn’t interact significantly with platelets, red cells, or other blood cells associated with blood thickening (which is typically of disease, not a desired state).

• 3 months later...