Science Forums

Is The World Coming To An End?

esbo

We are running out of fossil fuels while the population and demand for resources is exploding exponentially.

It can't go on can it.

As long as we continue to adapt to change with good decisions, We should be able to stay ahead of the trouble. However if we get bogged down or side tracked away from a timely solution, things could get a bit dicey for the general population. If we can keep moving away from gas guzzling cars and trucks. That will help a lot, but that solution needs to be a world wide effort or it will be for not. Also, somehow we need to get a better handle on global warming. Rising sea levels won't be just be a problem for those living next to it. If that wasn't bad enough, that kind of trouble would destabilize the world population enough to cause many wars to break out and I'm betting the U.S. might not be able to stay out of it. But suppose something like a major CME hit the earth and took out the power grids all over the world? As I understand that problem it would take a year or longer to restore the power grids in the U.S. with the rest of the world trailing a year or two behind us. Also, all our satellites would be lost, so we would have no Internet, TV, radio, phones, and anyway to keep our cars gassed up as the pumps will not be working. Food will stop coming into the cities. As you can imagine lots of people are going to die (current world wide estimate is about two billion dead) and those still alive might be wishing they were dead. Well let's hope that doesn't happen.

Edited by arKane

As long as we continue to adapt to change with good decisions, We should be able to stay ahead of the trouble. However if we get bogged down or side tracked away from a timely solution, things could get a bit dicey for the general population. If we can keep moving away from gas guzzling cars and trucks. That will help a lot, but that solution needs to be a world wide effort or it will be for not. Also, somehow we need to get a better handle on global warming. Rising sea levels won't be just be a problem for those living next to it. If that wasn't bad enough, that kind of trouble would destabilize the world population enough to cause many wars to break out and I'm betting the U.S. might not be able to stay out of it. But suppose something like a major CME hit the earth and took out the power grids all over the world? As I understand that problem it would take a year or longer to restore the power grids in the U.S. with the rest of the world trailing a year or two behind us. Also, all our satellites would be lost, so we would have no Internet, TV, radio, phones, and anyway to keep our cars gassed up as the pumps will not be working. Food will stop coming into the cities. As you can imagine lots of people are going to die (current world wide estimate is about two billion dead) and those still alive might be wishing they were dead. Well let's hope that doesn't happen.

Couldn't we just reboot?

Couldn't we just reboot?

Yes but with each reboot we will have less resources to work with. Let's face it, if we don't start putting some of our eggs in some other baskets we will surely go extinct. But even if we never do, and we can eek out several hundred million more years of existence on earth, I'd say we would be very successful as a species. But I very much want for the human species to become a space faring species and I just know I'm not alone in that sentiment. I want to see humans spreading to the stars living on many worlds. How many reboots can we have and still find a way to the stars? IMO, I think even one will be to many.