Science Forums

When Will Petroleum Engineers Become Redundant?

Joker37

When will petroleum engineers become redundant due to low oil recovery because of depleting amounts of oil throughout the world?

At what year will getting a degree in petroleum engineering be not worth it?

A close friend of mine is interested in become a petroleum engineer and I am asking here because I am curious too, if anyone knows or has any ideas...

When will petroleum engineers become redundant due to low oil recovery because of depleting amounts of oil throughout the world?

I don’t think the diminishing of more easily obtainable oil will reduce demand for petroleum engineers. Rather, because finding and tapping remaining oil is becoming more difficult and complicated, I expect there will be increased demand for increasingly skilled professionals in this field, even as the cost of oil increases and world-wide use of it decreases.

If your friend masters some of the many specialties in this field, he could have a long and satisfying career in it. I’d encourage him to pursue his interests.

• 4 weeks later...

We need to estimate a) the probable onset of peak oil B) the duration of the decline curve in production falling peak oil c) the typical working life span of a petroleum engineer.

Let's use 2030 for the first number, forty years for the second and forty years for the third. On that basis acquring a petroleum engineering degree as late as 2030 should still allow one a full working life in the industry. If you prefer then substitute your own numbers for a, b and c. It's still going to point to this being a fine time to enter the industry. (He might even be the last one to leave and get to turn the lights out. :) )

Of course, this completely ignores the possibility that carbon sequestration in subterranean reservoirs could be a major industry in the latter part of the century. Techniques applicable to petroleum reservoirs would be equally applicable to that industry.