Science Forums

When Did Humans Discover That Alcohol Was Bad For The Human Body?

Joker37

For how long have humans known of any of the negative effects of alcohol consumption on the human body?

As most people are aware today, alcohol is a poison. It can cause cancer (http://ama.com.au/node/6639), someone to go into a comber or even death.

My question, were many of the negative effects of alcohol consumption known say 1000 years ago? Or have most of them only been discovered recently?

If so, what's the earliest recorded observations of the negative effects of alcohol consumption on the human body?

I ask because I am interested in knowing whether the negative effects of alcohol consumption have only recently been discovered (i.e. similar to smoking).

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Dunno. I can't answer you're question but I'll share my knowledge of alcohols toxicity. Alcohol being such a simple molecule, is eliminated via a very short metabolic pathway: Ethanol -> Acetaldehyde -> Acetic acid. As far as I know, the main cause of ethanols toxicity is acetaldehyde. Acetaldehyde is a relatively toxic metabolite and is one of the main causes (along with dehydration) of hangovers. Theres a drug called disulfiram which inhibits the conversion of acetaldehyde into acetic acid and thus makes you violently ill if you ingest alcohol while on it. They prescribe it to alcoholics but in my opinion you'd have to be insane to use something like that to quit drinking.

If so, what's the earliest recorded observations of the negative effects of alcohol consumption on the human body?

I ask because I am interested in knowing whether the negative effects of alcohol consumption have only recently been discovered (i.e. similar to smoking).

Most sources cite a work published by the Greek monk Agapios in 1647 as the first claiming that alcohol caused physical damage to the body. Prior to that, writing going back practically to the beginning of history describe it as morally damaging – that is, leading to wicked, irresponsible behavior and poor character – but appear to suggest that any physical, medical damage it does is a consequence of this bad behavior, not a direct effect of excessive alcoholic drink itself.

This article, apparently from the commercial rehabilitation services provider Relapse Prevention.Org, is one of the best histories of alcohol abuse I’ve read, and like most others, mentions the 1647 Agapios publication.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...