Science Forums

Absolute Velocity and absoilute rest?

A while ago a friend and I were discussing the notion of Absolute Velocity and how this seems to be impossible to determine.

He argued this by using our photon as a way of determining an absolute rest photon emission point in spacetime.

He suggested that if we know the time of the photons emission and how far it has travelled we should be able to determine the absolute velocity thus absolute rest frame of the emmissio point.

Intuitively this seems reasonable on the surface, I guess, however I argued that the emmission point may very well be v=0 at t= 0 but that the emission point is a part of a continuum of change that is already at a rate of 'c', That that zero duration point in time is impossible to measure as a velocity artifact.

The main problem I suggested to him was that time and distance are variable and light is invariant so any measurment would be determined using these two variables thus it is impossibe to determine the emission point.

I suggested that the photon itself is our absolute rest frame and that it's velocity is also our absolute velocity, and so the discussion continued.

I thought I'd bring this discussion into the public arena and see what input others might have towards either side of the arguement.....[or maybe even another angle to the same issue- perhaps???] :circle: