Science Forums

The Precipice Of Prescience

Yes the spammers are becoming more sophisticated, some of the spam bots can convince you they are human if you don't pay too close attention to them but they always seem to do something that "outs" them eventually. If you have ever tried to chat on Yhoo then you know that the "bots" often talk to each other, both using key words that play off each bot. I've seen as many as a half dozen bots all talk to each other in eerie semblances of real conversation. usually only a few dozen lines before they start to repeat themselves but it is odd.

Now back to the OP or at least related to it. If a cloud could be sentient why not the entire planet? Or at least the life forms on it, what if the entire planet was a super organism consisting of every life form on the planet, instead of the predator prey relationship our own ecosystem is based on the super organism could be a huge plant like entity, all other life forms suppressed almost out of existence by this one or their DNA subjugated to serve the super organism much like the various organs in the bodies of complex organisms on the Earth. Any free roaming separate animals would serve the organism in some way, possibly helping kill out any life forms not subjugated by the super organism. I guess then you have to ask why would such an organism be sentient? Ants are a super organism and they are not sentient so then the question must be asked, why would even living clouds necessarily be sentient?

• 1 month later...

Turtle, you complete me...

And I think the planet has the capability of being a super-organism or even sentient, but it's untraceable by our current means, whereas cloud sentience may not be. I'd like to see planet-organism relationships covered more in the future, but not in this thread.

Also, this thread died. I'm guessing not many people saw it, and if they did, disregarded it.

On a personal, and probably entirely biased note, I am satisfied with the turnout this thread has given, in the fact that I am under the impression I won. The reason for this being is that no one has yet presented a counter-retort to my last statements (of which seemed to round-up the last of discerning impressions most people had of this topic). I am, like I said, satisfied with the outcome of this thread being that: Yes, it is very plausible for clouds to be sentient, whether or not they SHOULD be or WANT to be, that it is possible, and more likely than not. If you feel this conclusion I have arrived at to be false, please say so, and present a new argument.

Thank you =P

P.S. Hopefully tomorrow, I'll be presenting a very radical idea to hypography, radical, but very easily obtainable with your help. It has never been done before in all of recorded human history, and I look forward to talking to some of you in recruitment-fashion if you wish to aide me in this task. I only submit a preview here as means of my own reminder, and to alert anyone who is interested in making ground-breaking science and social change happen. Again, thanks, and although I probably seem extremely cocky, I really do weigh all your statements heavily over mine and try to come about the most logical conclusions. So again, sorry and thanks. ^^