Science Forums

Portable, Persistent....Awesome!

Originally I wrote a long dissertation about the power and value of Live CDs but for some reason this Forum doesn't cache drafts and I lost it. So I'll just make two points and if anyone wants to know more they can ask here or just try them.

The first one is Hirens Boot CD which is the most comprehensive set of amazing tools, some from a DOS based environment and others from it's MiniXP Desktop. All this with none of the hassle of Bart's PE. It's all there including updateable database anti Malware and Virus tools.

This is the main event - Slax-Remix v7.0 A single command built into the iso, one for Windows and one for Linux, makes a USB stick bootable. Once on a USB stick it can save settings, configurations, drivers and expand with new applications and programs.

However, even stock, it is nothing short of amazing. It's ability to discover and set up hardware including Internet, even most wireless is terrific. It comes with Firefox with Flash plugin installed by default as the screenie below shows. The boot menu reveals it's flexibility having 6 possibilities, including a heavy and a Lite DE, CLI, and "Always Fresh" that ignores specifics you've added so it is still useful on any machine, and an PXE server. Ut can be booted over network.

Again, If you have questions just ask here or just jump in and try 'em. They're very friendly.

It's been awhile since I "attached" a jpeg so I hope this works. The 2 mentioned Live media work better than you can imagine. Check em out. Oh yeah here's the Remix pictured above

slax-remix-v07.iso

Enjoy

BTW can anyone tell me what the "Thumbs Down" dealio is?