Science Forums

Lactic Acid

i am not sure if this project would be feasible but it sounds pretty reasonable. Does anybody know if one were to run while connected to a constant oxygen supply (tank), if they would feel the effects of lactic acid fermentation. I believe that since there is no absence of oxygen, the process of lactic acid fermentation would be no more( no pain when running). Can someone tell me if my hypothesis has any truth to it?

i am not sure if this project would be feasible but it sounds pretty reasonable. Does anybody know if one were to run while connected to a constant oxygen supply (tank), if they would feel the effects of lactic acid fermentation. I believe that since there is no absence of oxygen, the process of lactic acid fermentation would be no more( no pain when running). Can someone tell me if my hypothesis has any truth to it?
Clever thought Z, but it won't work. Lactic acidosis is a byproduct of glycogen catabolism. The breakdown of glycogen (the branched starch that stores the majority of short-tem energy in muscles and the liver) creates its own CO2. Looks like you are stuck with the pain.

But look at the bright side. If the pain went away, you would have to find some other short, catchy phrase to replace "no pain, no gain".

Maybe "green bottle, full throttle"?

Clever thought Z, but it won't work. Lactic acidosis is a byproduct of glycogen catabolism. The breakdown of glycogen (the branched starch that stores the majority of short-tem energy in muscles and the liver) creates its own CO2. Looks like you are stuck with the pain.

But look at the bright side. If the pain went away, you would have to find some other short, catchy phrase to replace "no pain, no gain".

Maybe "green bottle, full throttle"?

Yes Biochemist; What is this younger generation coming to. Without a little pain, where is the sense of accomplishment??

Zimmer_32: Does anybody know if one were to run while connected to a constant oxygen supply (tank), if they would feel the effects of lactic acid fermentation. I believe that since there is no absence of oxygen, the process of lactic acid fermentation would be no more( no pain when running).

Given sufficient oxygen the liver can convert lactic acid released by muscles into pyruvic acid, with some of it getting converted into glucose and sent back to muscles: it's the Cori cycle.

Concerning the original question, if the muscle cells had sufficient oxygen (and could replenish some other things fast enough) then they wouldn't have to shift over to glycolysis as their primary means of producing ATP. That would avoid the build up of lactic acid.

My thoughts on why the original proposal wouldn't work is that getting oxygen into the trachea is not the same as getting that oxygen into the muscle cells.

But running wouldn't be the best test of this idea since running is low intensity, aerobic exercise. High intensity weight training builds up lactic acid much faster.