Science Forums

The Function of Nepenthesin?

lionelroars

Hi,

I'm currently conducting an experiment to test if the protease, Nepenthesin, found in the digestive juices of a Nepenthes Pitcher Plant, can be used as an active ingredient in whitening toothpastes. However, I'm still unsure of how Nepenthesin really works. Could anyone provide some insight into how Nepenthesin functions (e.g. how it breaks down proteins or some scientific terms I can research on)?

Thanks a bunch! :lol:

Lionel

Hi,

I'm currently conducting an experiment to test if the protease, Nepenthesin, found in the digestive juices of a Nepenthes Pitcher Plant, can be used as an active ingredient in whitening toothpastes.

Hi. Welcome to Hypography :lol:

I'm not schooled in biology and I really have no idea about Nepenthesin, but common sense would tell me that regularly applying a digestive enzyme to your teeth would be a bad idea. I would think it would eat away the tooth enamel, like it does to people with bulimia.

However, I'm still unsure of how Nepenthesin really works. Could anyone provide some insight into how Nepenthesin functions (e.g. how it breaks down proteins or some scientific terms I can research on)?

Here's an article on that:

Enzymic and structural characterization of nepenthesin, a unique member of a novel subfamily of aspartic proteinases

~modest