Science Forums

Looking for a Vulcanologist or suggestion on where to have some soil tested in the US

gprprod

check with the geology departments of universities/colleges in the area. you can also look for extant mineral studies from usgs for the area you collected the soil by googling "geology of _______place name" or "rock types of_______place name".

what's the story behind your quest? . . . . .. . . . :)

ps i am not a volcanologist, but i play one online. :hyper:

Thanks turtle,

Thanks for the advice. I am making a movie about my granddad, an eccentric amateur archeologist who worked in Geology and Immunology for the state of South Carolina during the 50s, 60s, and 70s. He has some highly controversial theories about SC geology, many bordering on 'pseudoscience'. Nonetheless, he pursued his work, even writing a scientific paper on a new way to study silicified soft tissues, back in the 1970's. Few have seen his work. I'm trying to honor his work by by putting it up to scientific scrutiny, no matter how unusual the claims.

The soil test is to determine if part of his theory of silicification holds up. He proposes that at the end of the Eocene, a volcanic blast from Cuba, covered the Southeastern US with deadly ash and in central south carolina, preserved the remnants of an advanced reptilian culture. If you want to know more please view our youtube channel:

YouTube - FacesInTheRocks's Channel

Thanks again.

looks like pareidolia to me. :hyper:

on the idea of "people" living & doing on earth millions of years ago, you may find buckminster fuller's ruminations interesting. >> 1200.00 NUMEROLOGY

unfortunately he offers no evidence or reference for his speculations and as he is still dead no such explication is expected any time soon.

while such speculations make for entertainment of varying quality, i think they distract from and do a disservice to real science. good luck with the project. . . . . . :)

Thanks for your thoughts, Turtle. Among other things, we are pursuing the concept of pareidolia in the film. By inviting scientists and scholars to address my grandfather's work we are having a healthy discussion on the topic of pseudoscience and other such speculations. Thanks for your suggestions.

Thanks for your thoughts, Turtle. Among other things, we are pursuing the concept of pareidolia in the film. By inviting scientists and scholars to address my grandfather's work we are having a healthy discussion on the topic of pseudoscience and other such speculations. Thanks for your suggestions.

my pleasure. :cup:

schweeet!! can i have a byline? special thanks to Turtle or such a matter? if i actually contribute anything that is. i have one such "film" credit already for helping a guy debunk the 2012 earth-crossing-the-galactic-plane meme. :hyper: turned out he was a creationist. :eek: no matter; i got my byline.:D let me know if i can be of further assistance. :)

... He proposes that at the end of the Eocene, a volcanic blast from Cuba, covered the Southeastern US with deadly ash and in central south carolina, ...

Thanks again.

me again. :hihi: speaking of the end of the eocene and destructive fallout of minerals, thought you'd find this of interest. cuba and her volcanoless limestones be damned! :clue:

Eocene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...The start of the Eocene is marked by the emergence of the first modern mammals. The end is set at a major extinction event called Grande Coupure (the "Great Break" in continuity), which may be related to the impact of one or more large bolides in Siberia and in what is now Chesapeake Bay. ...

you will need an impact physicist to qualify your samples in regard to an impact. i know of a couple if you need. :turtle: