Science Forums

BioChar,Windmills,Alt. Energy, Martial Arts, Classic Russian Literature

benjitsu

I figured I would get right to the point, nothing makes me crazier than forum posts with useless titles! (no offense intended!)

I don't have any type of official eduation in these types of things, but I love learning about them. I love technology, but always feel drawn to nature, agriculture, and stewardship of land/resources.

Here are my current projects(in planning, of course), roughly in order of likely starting order;

1. Biochar/Terra Prata - I have a 13 acre property to look after - Mostly rented out as farmland, a quarter acre/half acre veggie garden, maybe, and lots ofland that is covered with dense greenery (mostly weeds!), and lots of available firewood. Can I dig a pit, start a fire, fill it weeds, and away I go?

2. Wind driven water pumping - I have a n old, dug well, that I would love to connect a fountain to, as well as a "leeker" hose to waterflowerbeds, veggie garden.

3. Alternative Energy generation and storage - I have read up on windmills, solar panels connected to old tow motor batteries (there was a step/devicein between to vibrate in order to shake loose battery "gunk" buildup

4. Low intensity , organic type farming - Bison, growing a forest from scratch, fruit trees, bees, veggie growing

5.Booze! I would love ot make beer, or even get a still and make liquor, but I dont want to make nasty tasting swill that makes me go blind...I don't mind the temporary blindness, but it should taste ok!

There! A little bit more about me...I live in SW, rural Ontario. I study Okinowan JiuJitsu, and GojuRyu karate (a little bit). I love fitness and anatomy, but I have been out of practice in all of these things lately. I love Russian authers like Doesteovsky and Tolstoy (my favourite), and rarely read "newer" books. I am 27...i think that is enough!

If anyone has some quick and dirty advice on any of these subjects, that would be great, I am gonna sift through the forums, of course...but especially the biochar, I am in a limited time frame to get going, and it is going to be a banner year for weeds! :turtle:

Benjamin