Science Forums

Who wants to know?

buddhaboy

with any question at all...there is yet another question to ask... and that is ."who wants to know"? you could ask "was there a big bang"? well, who wants to know?..what is it that asks that? and what will "it " do if it gets an answer? Lets say i say that its my mind asking about the big bang...and then i ask well...why does mind want to know? Suppose that the mind gets an answer .. now what? will it be happy with it? ask another question? what?... every question ive ever asked is like hose russian dolls ... take off one layer..and thers another... and another...and another...perhaps the questions get more detailed and precise, but still there are questions... is there an end to questions? i dont mean living like a vegetable, but just living life as it is , seeing it for what it is as each moment arises.

At some point even the tiniest doll can be life or death important, all questions and answers are important on some level. The importance of the answer might not be readily apparent but are you willing to decide when the answers cease to be important? Or when the questions become too hard? What if the realm of bacteria had seemed to unimportant to investigate? Or the realm of the atomic nucleus? Who is to judge?

The book “Beyond Alienation” by Ernest Becker attempts to clarify the nature of the human problem and to provide a solution for this problem. If humanity is to resolve this problem it must find a way to instruct itself wisely in the matter of social morality. Humanity must develop a synthesis of knowledge that can serve as a reasoned basis for constructing a moral rationality. We need to develop a means whereby secular moral philosophy becomes the central consideration for learning.

Moral philosophy teaches the hierarchy of values. The moral philosophy Becker speaks of recognizes that knowledge is never absolute and therefore must not remain static; it must be dynamic, reflecting the constant discovery initiated by science. Knowledge is that which helps to promote human welfare in the here and now.